Options

MONITOR.EXE tries to CONNECT To WEB.

According to MS, (if I understand correctly) this is an internal function that does NOT connect to the Internet. But on my computer, it tries to access the Internet frequently. I have blocked it with eTRUST firewall, which was installed before ANY Internet connection, and after a clean system recovery (from Sony MS WIN98SE CDs), so there has never been any connection made. I have a 28kps telephone modem connection, yet am scanned systemmatically and assiduously. So I added AnalogX PortBlocker, which is very user-friendly and blocks open ports for reassurance.
So, all is functioning well, but can anyone tell me why an internal function like Monitor.exe would try to access the Net? The last time (in a previous system incarnation) it DID succeed in reaching the Net, and it seemed to act as a homing device for a targeted attack, and brought an onslaught of spyware/adware that annihilated my system.
Could some invisible scan set the Monitor.exe in a mode to access the internet? Any and all help/information/speculation would be appreciated. Thanks. (Maybe Art Bell would know.)
--Catmandoo