im ruminating on an :shakehead 875 mobo upgrade
the dfi and msi nforce 4 ultra boards look delish
however i have a fortron fsp 400w pfn atx12vdc

im not going sli
could i use a 20-24 pin connector :scratch:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    The 24-pin boards are (for the most part) backwards compatable with 20-pin ATX 1.x PSUs. You do not require an adapter.

I ran my DFI NF4 board with a 20-pin antec without any issues. Just so long as you have a nice solid 12V rail, you should be okay. Give it a try, worst case, you'll notice some instability.
  • edited April 2005
    hi

im looking at almost same board but the ultra so i get serialII
    maybe 2x hitachi deskstar raid0 :rolleyes:

another forumer warned me of gtx? graphics card
    and power supply :confused:

i have a fortron 400psu ? adequate?

do you think a sapphire x700pro pci is a good choice :scratch:
    i only do photoshop
    is there a different psu connector for pci graphics
    sorry for all the questions :bawling:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    automaton wrote:
    hi

im looking at almost same board but the ultra so i get serialII
    maybe 2x hitachi deskstar raid0 :rolleyes:

another forumer warned me of gtx? graphics card
    and power supply :confused:

i have a fortron 400psu ? adequate?

do you think a sapphire x700pro pci is a good choice :scratch:
    i only do photoshop
    is there a different psu connector for pci graphics
    sorry for all the questions :bawling:

Hope this helps.. :D

2x Hitachi drives would be great in a Raid-0 configuration. The Seagate 7200.7 series of drives are also a great choice. Don't worry if the drives are SATAII or first generation SATA, that does not affect performance. None of the mainstream drives could saturate 150MB/s that SATA1 has to offer.

Give your Fortron PSU a try. If you check the label on the side of the powersupply, it should give you an 'amp' rating for the +12V rail. If this is lower than 20A (i.e. 16 or 18 amps), I would recommend that you take a look at a new PSU. If you do get a new PSU, be sure that it is a 24-pin supply. Ideally you should have a 450+ watt PSU with a minimum of 20A on the 12V rail.

There is a different connector for PCI-Express graphics cards. It's called the PCI-E power connector. There are many adapters that you can get that convert a standard 4-pin molex to the PCI-E connector. Many native 24-pin power supplies have the connectors by default, but most 20-pins do not.

If you mainly do photoshop, most mainstream cards will do just fine, including the X600/X700, as well as the Nvidia 6600GT. They are also great gaming cards (especially the 6600GT). Many of cards in this class do not require a PCI-E connector, and receive all of their power through the slot. Higher end cards such as the 6800 and X800/X850s do require a power connector, and consume a lot of power.

Are you planning to do any heavy overclocking of your system? Although I love my DFI, it really only shines when you start pushing your system to the limits. There are many other boards by Asus, MSI, Abit and other manufacturers that may be more 'user friendly' and require much less tweaking and tuning to get working right. If gaming and overclocking are your forte, the DFI is for you..