Spam, an acquired taste?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
According to a new study, people are apparently growing more tolerant of, though no less annoyed at, the pile of muck in their inboxes.
"Compared to a year ago, fewer e-mail users now say that spam is undermining their trust in e-mail, eroding their e-mail use or making life online unpleasant or annoying."

"It's one of the annoyances in life that you eventually resign yourself to," Pew Internet chief Lee Rainie told me in an interview this morning.
This seems like a good idea to mention that everyone should check out joinfolding.com ;)

Source: Washington Post

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Great, this just means that we'll get more spam in their hopes of us "getting used to it". I'm still very annoyed by it, although I just have my hotmail account for all my spam purposes, and so far my main accounts haven't had anything I didn't ask for.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Damn! And I thought this was going to be about the wonderful meat product made by Hormel in a can. :rolleyes:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    That's the scary thing, it's made by Hormel, rather than growing on four legs :eek:
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Why is such a hoopla made over email spam when the numerous flyers and coupons I receive in my snail mailbox everyday waste more energy and paper? Personally, being able to opt out of both, just as I can opt out of a telemarketing list makes sense to me.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    Why is such a hoopla made over email spam when the numerous flyers and coupons I receive in my snail mailbox everyday waste more energy and paper? Personally, being able to opt out of both, just as I can opt out of a telemarketing list makes sense to me.
    I feel the same way.

Just for the sake of explanation, I think the difference in most people's minds is that they aren't used to Internet Spam, whereas we all have grown to expect the old-fashioned kind.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Glad to see you around again, Preacher! :cool:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Glad to see you around again, Preacher! :cool:
    I meant to add a similar sentiment myself. :wave:

You picked an exciting time to drop in. :D
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    LOL! Thanks, prof and GK. And yes I intend to get back into the folding fold (pun intended)....