PC won't read cd/dvdrom

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Doing this for a friend. Her pc one day stopped being able to recognize her cd/dvdrom. It does not show up in "My Computer". Device Manager has an exclamtion mark with "Windows cannot load the device drivers for this hardware." I have been unable to find drivers for this unit. Bios reconizes the unit fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Boot up in Safe Mode and uninstall the drive and the IDE Channel to which it's attached. Reboot and see if Windows can find it again.

You haven't added or removed any drives in the computer have you?
  • edited April 2005
    No I haven't. Will try that thank you. Will post back with answer.
  • edited April 2005
    Tried it, didn't work. Btw, how do I uninstall the IDE channel?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    as below
  • edited April 2005
    Nice Pic. Tried that too. same thing. Windows detecs new cdrom drive but still eroor.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I've recommended this to other people with some success.

Set a restore point first!
    Access the system registry by running the Registry Editor. To do that, simply go Start>Run and type "regedit" in the Run dialog box.

Once you are in the registry editor, you can navigate through the registry as you would for a regular windows directory.

To access the two specified keys, click on the following folders situated on the left hand side, in the specified order.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Once you have opened the last folder, you should see two keys on the right hand side ("Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters") which you may select and then delete by right clicking and selecting "Delete".

Alternatively, you could search for these keys instead of manually navigating to their locations. To do so, go Edit>Find and type either "Upperfilters" or "Lowerfilters" in the search field.

If you are unable to find these registry keys, it may be that they do not exist on your system. In such a case, this fix will probably not work for you.
  • 07mavribea07mavribea Perth, Western Australia
    edited April 2005
    I had this problem and found it was because i was on a network. I had a network drive shared as the same drive letter as the DVD rom and therefore the network drive only appeared in my computer and device manager, not the DVD. If you are on a network, delete all network drives for the time being.