Broadband Telephone Service?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I'm trying to help my parents out in getting their bills cheaper, I was curious about one thing though. We can get this broadband telephone service but I suppose it works over the internet correct?

Does this mean that when someone is talking on the broadband phone the internet will slow down or anything?

If the electricity is out, I suppose the phones are out as well? Not that this really matters since we all have our own cell phones.

Comments

• tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited April 2005
    If you're talking about a VOIP phone then it shares bandwidth with your cable modem and will require e TA (telephony adapter) that will connect via ethernet to either your cable modem or router and will also have a power supply.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    I bet he is talking either something like www.vonage.com

or

Many cable ISP's like comcast now offer broadband telephone.

I have used comcasts and no it takes no bandwidth to speak of, The internet does not slow down at all and Comcast included a small ups so that you still had phone service in a power outage. You also didnt lose phone service if the internet went down unless someone chops a cable.

Cheers

Tex
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I bet he is talking either something like www.vonage.com

or

Many cable ISP's like comcast now offer broadband telephone.

I have used comcasts and no it takes no bandwidth to speak of, The internet does not slow down at all and Comcast included a small ups so that you still had phone service in a power outage. You also didnt lose phone service if the internet went down unless someone chops a cable.

Cheers

Tex

Wow that's all great news! I was looking into Roadrunner's service or TimeWarners.