Can't Open Corel Documents

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I've been away for a long time, but always come back when I've got problems.

The problem I am having is that I cannot open Corel WordPerfect documents from outside the Corel application. In other words, when I open a folder using the windows browser, and double-click the WordPerfect document, Corel WordPerfect 8 opens, but the document is not opened (instead I have a blank document). Same thing if I try to open a WordPerfect document from email, etc. My other applications work fine--Microsoft Word Documents open when double-clicked, pdf files, etc.

The problem is NOT that the document is not being recognized as a Corel WordPerfect document, because the Corel application will open. The problem is NOT that the document is incapable of being read by this version of Corel, because I can open the file through the Corel menu.

The problem is that I cannot open a Corel WordPerfect document from outside the Corel application. This is a new computer, so this is something that has never worked right, not something recently broken.

I have both Corel Wordperfect 8 and 9 installed, but I don't believe this is the problem, because someone else in my office also has both and is not experiencing this problem. For what it's worth, I'm using XP-Pro, and memory or resources are not limited or a problem.

Any ideas?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    You can try "reassociating" the .wpd extension with wordperfect...

Right click on a WPD document, click "Open With", choose Other application, pick anything (MS word, for example), check the box that says "always open with this application"

close, and double click to file to see if it attempts opening with the other app.

Now, go back and do it again, except this time associate it with WordPerfect.

If that doesn't fix it, perhaps check Corel's website for the latest patch for your version of WP, or reinstall Wordperfect.

Welcome back :) We miss you in SVT :thumbsup:
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply PrimeSuspect. The redirect did not work, so I reloaded the software and it works now.

Several months ago I looked at the SVT forum, and it all looked Greek to me. Wow, you miss a day and you miss a lot. I've been trying to practice safe browsing habits, so hopefully I can stay out of there.

Thanks again.