Graphic glitches after new HS/F installed

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hello all

I installed my new Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer Rev 3 on my video card... and now, when i play my 3D games, i see lots of 3D graphics error (see attached image).

I made sure the fan was spinning (at "high" setting). I made sure a plugged the external power cable on the card...

Also, my card is not and has never been overclock. Same thing for my CPU.

My card is an ATI Radeon Pro 128MB.

So i think its not a heat related issue... because it happens not after a certain period of time, but right after i start a game.

In Windows the display is fine.

Any idea of what may be causing this?

Thanks

-Flat

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Yikes, does not look good. I would try to re-seat your Arctic sink. Use some isopropol alcohol to clean around the GPU, and ensure you have a good amount of thermal paste. If you used arctic silver or another silver based compound, ensure that you did not get any on the card or the card's components. I've seen artifacting occur due to foreign substances on the card.

It's still possible that the issue is thermal, but I'd start with re-seating the arctic silencer, and making sure the card is clean.
  • edited April 2005
    Ok thanks for the reply lemon!

Ill try what you're suggesting...

Btw, what should i use to remove the paste? alcohol and... Q-Tips? tissue? cotton cloth?

And yes... i added some paste that came with the VGA Silencer...

Ill try that tonight... and keep you informed.

Thanks again

-Flat
  • corvinmsfcorvinmsf San Francisco, CA
    edited April 2005
    I highly recommend using a lint-free cloth for removing the paste. Q-Tips and tissues have a tendancy to leave particles after you've cleaned with them. You can find lint-free cloth at Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Best Buy, CompUSA, etc in the computer accessories section with the other cleaning supplies. They only cost a few $.

Be sure you use a thick enough layer of the thermal compound, and use a credit card or razor blade to spead it evenly over the GPU. The trick is to spread it as evenly as possible while keeping the layer of paste thick enough so it will make complete contact with the heat sink. As lemonlime suggested, be sure to wipe away any excess thermal compound around the GPU or other areas on the board before seating the heat sink.

Good luck! :D

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.06 GHz w/HT
    1 GB Corsair PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder
    Western Digital 250 GB HD
    Western Digital 120 GB HD
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 eX Platinum
    Super Flower Mid-Tower Aluminum Case
    Vantec Stealth 420W Power Supply
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Flatulus

Is that the greek name for fart boy ? :D

When I installed my AC silencer it came with an instruction sheet that indicated that some video cards had clearance problems with some of the capacitors. Mine did ! I had to use my dremal tool to releive the cooler in a couple of places so that it would sit flat on the GPU chip. If I had not made the releif cuts It would have looked like it was on flat but not touching on one side of the chip. When you take it off , look for an even contact mark in the old thermal compound. And check the underside of the cooler for contact points with other items on the card.

Good luck
    Scott
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2005
    Flatulus wrote:
    Ok thanks for the reply lemon!
    Btw, what should i use to remove the paste? alcohol and... Q-Tips? tissue? cotton cloth?

-Flat

Over the years I've tried alcohol,nail polish remover, quew tips, tiolet paper,news paper,paper napkins, and lint free cloth. Ahh but now for the past 2 years I've been using the best thing ever.

Drummmm rollllllllllll....... Alcohol cut wipes! a box of 100 of these wipes can be had for $2.00 at any grocery store by the band aids. Each one is individually packed and unfolds to about 1 inch by 1 inch. No mess no fuss. It genrally only requires only one wipe and you toss it away. NO lint and they work great at cleaning dust off of mobos and all sorts of electric parts.

Cleans the cpu gunk good in usually one wipe!