Advise on setting up new hard drive

black94zblack94z Maine
edited April 2005 in Hardware
I've purchased a new harddrive, 120GB WD 7200 and am looking for advise on setting up my system. I am going to do a new install of XP as well. I currently am running a 80GB IBM Deskstar that I've had for about 2.5 years and had zero problems with. I'm trying to decide which drive to load my OS and programs on, and which to use just as storage. Both are 7200rpm, and I assume will perform the same. My uses are mainly internet, photos (and editing), MP3, and Video. I'm guessing my best bet is to run my OS off the new hard drive and use the 80gb IBM as a secondary? My thinking is that it would be better to have the OS on the newer drive, as the 80gb drive likely won't last forever. I will be reformatting the IBM 80gb drive as well (obviously) as it is very fragmented and just overall screwed up (have NEVER reformatted in 2.5 years of running it).
I have some stuff on the IBM 80 gb drive that I would like to keep (too large to burn onto CD (video files), so my question is:
Is it possible to remove the existing IBM 80gb drive, replace it with the new 120GB drive, load up fresh XP SP2 and ZoneAlarm Suite firewall, etc. on it; then hook up the old IBM drive as well (but run off the new XP on the 120gb drive) just to get files off of it before reformatting and getting rid of the old OS and issues I had (got rid of most spyware, but probably some crap hiding still - I was running with SP1 and no firewall for TOO LONG!!). I'm not sure if since that IBM drive was setup to be the primary drive with an OS on it if it will allow you to just hook it up to transfer files or not. I'm new to getting down and dirty with this stuff so please be patient with me!! I'm not sure how all the slave/master, what to format the drive (NTFS?), etc stuff goes, so I'm not sure what can/should be done. Basically I want a fresh start with good security so my spyware, etc. issues are kept at a minimum!!! I've always just let other people work on my machine, but now I have the time and interest in learning how to do it all myself (plus my computer wise buddy now lives 600 miles away!).
So I guess we'll start with this question and then if you guys think this will work (or have other suggestions) we'll go forward with the details on which plug goes where and all the nitty gritty!! Thanks a million for your help guys, I appreciate it!!!

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Just leave your present drive as is. Clean it up and defrag it etc.. We can help do that.

There is not enough speed differance in the two drives to matter in real life. You can use a imaging program to backup the 80gb to the 120gb. And backing up is something you need to do anyway regularly.

Set the jumpers on the new WD to either slave or CS (cable select). Connect it on the same cable as the current hard drive but on the closest connector to the MB.

Boot into Windows XP and use drive management to format with ntfs. I don't believe in cutting a drive into a ton of smaller partitons unless its for a specific need for most people. If you make anything seperate I would make one to hold an image of the current 80gb drive. But we do not currently know how big that should be either... For starters just use the whole thing and lets see how big an image of the current drive is AFTER you clean all the crap in the temp files and internet temp files etc.. Do not image untill you get it cleaned and again..... We will help you do that.

If your system is not dorked and you are not good at reinstalling an OS and drivers and software installs the whole "lets install a new OS for fun" is not the correct path for YOU unless your current OS is dorked up. Sure us geeks do it for fun from time to time.. You do not sound like a geek and this often isnt as easy as it sounds.. Go look in the windows forum for all the guys with phucked up XP installs that freeze or do not finish and a lot of those guys are REALLY good at this stuff.

I do this for a living and have had installs on XP last years and years with regular cleaning and defragging and trust me... my systems and installs etc.. are much more complicated then yours probably. Unless your having all kinds of probs lets just clean your existing OS and get that puppy backed up to your new drive ASAP.

Are you even out of space right now? What do you use your system for ?

Tex
  • black94zblack94z Maine
    edited April 2005
    Thanks Tex for the time and advice. Hmmm, well problem is my system is in fact acting very weird. It does all sorts of odd things... IE is constantly freezing up, losing net connection, WMP saying cannot play a MP3 file due to missing drivers when it played the file 5 minutes before. Everything works at some point or another, just not usually for long (must reboot CONTSTANTLY). I've gotten a message saying important windows files are damaged or missing and to insert XP cd to repair (may have been a botched spyware removal that screwed something up, but not totally sure). At that point I didn't have the XP cd handy so I didn't do it. What is installed is XP SP1 my buddy installed on there... I have since bought a copy of XP SP2 (what I was going to install). I have backed up all of my music, video, photo, office documents, Quicken Backup, Outlook contacts, and any other files I can think that I would NOT want to lose onto CD-R's and deleted them off my system. All that is left is some larger video files that I have not RAR'ed or other means to get them down to burnable size (was hoping to avoid that if possible... just because it will take quite a bit of time and my system is driving me nuts!).
    I'm sure there are other ways, but I've tried numerous times to get the windows supplied defragmenter to run, but it freezes EVERY time (has done this even before I ever had any of the above freezing, etc issues). I now have quite a bit of space on there (30 gigs used), but when all my music and video files were on there I was up to about 75 gigs (Had all of my music CD's ripped on there). I basically just use the computer for the net, listening to music, webpage, photo editing, and getting into video stuff. Only 'big' software programs I run are Macromedia Dreamweaver and Adobe Photoshop... along with CD/DVD media programs - usually just WMP or PowerDVD. I do zero gaming - and don't plan on doing any.
    So anyways, based on my system instability issues I'd venture to say that I do need to do a complete install? So with this info being known, what do you think. Thanks again for the advice.
    edited April 2005
    If your system is unstable we go to plan "B".

Lets install to the new drive and get the data from the old one.

If I was in this situation I want to install the new OS with ONLY the new drive on and its the master. Lets get the OS up and installed and yes... we will all help ya all through the process! Then copy over any files we need from the old drive step by step.

Tex
  • black94zblack94z Maine
    edited April 2005
    Hey guys, after a busy end to tax season I finally got a chance to get wrenching on the 'ol hunk of junk last night. I removed the old harddrive and got the new one in there as master, XP loaded, and a few partitions made to keep the OS/temp files/ & storage seperate. Ran into a few problems so far. First, I guess I need to load some drivers for my monitor? It is only running at 800x600 and 16 colors. I go into Display properties and it just says "default monitor" and it says the drivers are "VGASave." Under 'monitor' it will not let me click on 'properties' (it is grayed out). I am just using the onboard video card on my Abit BG7 i845G if that helps any.

Another problem I notice right off the bat is that it doesn't recognize my DVD drive. This isn't critical right now, as it is recognizing my CD-R drive, so obviously the XP CD was read and installed just fine. Perhaps there is an easy fix to this? If not we will tackle this after I get everything loaded up and rolling again (I know I've browsed through posts regarding this, so don't waste your time if I can find this answer easily elsewhere).

The main thing right now is just the monitor issue. Once I can see everything at a reasonable size I'll be ready to load up my firewall and get rolling. Thanks a million guys!!!
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited April 2005
    If you have a net connection, (get FireFox first...) go to your monitor manufacturer's site and download the drivers for it. Usually XP will pick up plug and play monitors but, maybe your s is special. Also, you may want to make sure that you get the current drivers from Abit. Just to be safe.
    edited April 2005
    He doesnt need drivers for his monitor. He needs drivers for his video card/display adapter.

Tex
  • black94zblack94z Maine
    edited April 2005
    Okay, I think I have the correct drivers to install. We'll see tonight when I give it a go. Thanks,
    Matt
  • black94zblack94z Maine
    edited April 2005
    Hey guys, I think I've gotten everything copied over that I need... everything seems to be running smoothly. The only thing that I haven't tried to copy over is my email. Is there a way to get my old email out of Outlook and into Outlook Express on the new drive? If not I'll survive... I don't think there is anything I cannot live with, just is nice to have for reference sometimes.
    Thanks
    edited April 2005
    Why not just use Outlook again instead of express? If you do that this will take 45 seconds to get ya fixed?

tex