Power Supply Help 101

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2005 in Hardware
I took out my old power supply.

Im about to put in my new one right now.

I have a switch that looks like this .... O |

And a red voltage thing

Which ones do I flip.

The red one is corrently flipped to the left.

And the O is pressed down.

I need help now cause Im installing it at this moment tHX!!!

Comments

• BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2005
    BUmp
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The "O / |" thing is simply an on/off switch. It's the power switch. Leave it "O" until you get the thing installed and then flip it to "|" (on) when you're ready to turn your computer on.

If you are in the USA, the voltage selector should be 115/120v... If you're in europe, it should be 220.
    edited April 2005
    so the 115 should be showing?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    What's showing is the voltage it is set for. Many Power Supply makers sell world-wide, and if you lived in the US and set the Power Supply to 220 (220 or 230 showing), your computer would not work. OTOH, in US since power is normally 110-120 volts here, you want 115 showing. europe, and possibly parts of Canada, 220 might be needed. To get your computer to work in Europe, if you took it on a trip, you would have to flip the red switch. Like primesuspect said, but what shows is what it is set for.
    edited April 2005
    ok thx turning on...
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    ..... and possibly parts of Canada, 220 might be needed.

All 115 volts here :D

strangely, we use 115 instead of 120 like the US. Close enough that it does not affect the electronics..
    edited April 2005
    Im gonna lay down some quick questions.

1. Is there a program to tell the specs of your power supply.

2. I went in bios and found AGP departure. Do I set this to 256mb for my card?

since my card is 256?

3. The fan is not that loud :).

Thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Since the powersupply is only supplying your computer with 12V, 5V and 3.3V of direct current, there is no 'control' or other type of interface that allows your power supply to communicate with your PC. Most PSU's have a sticker on the side of the casing that specify the number of amps per rail (i.e. 20amps to the +12V rail etc.) This can give you most of the information you require, including total wattage.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    1. Is there a program to tell the specs of your power supply.

See LemonLime's post above.
    Bubbleman wrote:
    2. I went in bios and found AGP departure. Do I set this to 256mb for my card? since my card is 256?

AGP APERATURE....yes and that's assuming you have enough system RAM (EG: 512 MB or more) If you have less...128-256 MB only...then you may want to set it at 128.