Unmountable boot volume

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Whenever I turn on the computer I get an "Unmountable boot volume" error. I've created boot CD's and ran chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r but it doesn't find any errors and the problem persists.

I have an hp pavilion 522n with 60GB Ultra DMA hard drive. The computer is three years old and definitely out of warrenty. I'd consider buying a new one but my computer needs don't require a powerful system. Let me know if I can supply you with any additional information.

The problem first began when the computer was booting up and we had a power failure. After the power came back and I turned on my computer it had the unmountable boot volume message.

Fortunately, all the data on my computer was backed up a couple of days before this problem occured so I'm not interested in saving anything on the hard drive. I had a bunch of spyware on my computer so I reformatted my hard drive. The computer worked fine for a couple of days before my current problem. I've considered just buying a new hard drive but then I would also have to buy an operating system. The prospect of spending $400 isn't appealing. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Try running testdisk.

If it can find a partition, let it fix it. This program has bailed out quite a few of us here. :)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    You just need to run chkdsk and clean the filesystem. You can do that from the recovery console.

Tex
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Tiddles wrote:
    Whenever I turn on the computer I get an "Unmountable boot volume" error. I've created boot CD's and ran chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r but it doesn't find any errors and the problem persists...
    He tried that, Tex.
  • edited September 2005
    I also have just recently received the blue screen of death that said unmountable boot volume. None of the safe mode options work. I will try going into the recovery console and try the various chkdsk options.
  • edited September 2005
    where can I get that testdisk from?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    The word Testdisk in his post was a link to a page that had a link to a page that had a link to the file.

This was the link to the page that has the file:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html