boredom in the hotel

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
so i got some downtime here in VT, get on the lappy and the hotel's internet is going alright, about 512/128. i decided to see how good the hotel's wireless connection is and look what i find, a couple unsecured access points. fun time :thumbsup:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    How times change.

When I was young, if you found yourself bored in a hotel you'd just go get a bottle of cheap booze and an even cheaper...

...on second thought, never mind... :vimp:
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I can "see" four wireless LANs in my apartment. Of the four, only one uses encryption (my own). Two still have the default name of the router's manufacturer. It would be so easy to use these people's internet connections or god forbid they have file and printer sharing enabled. Most people just don't read how to setup a wireless LAN, much less secure it...
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Yah I drove from toronto to whitby found 400 wap's, only 4 had any security turned on.

(used netstumbler)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited April 2005
    Some hotspots don't use WEP, but if you try to connect to them you'll find that either

a) They won't give you an IP address (ie: they only allow a certain range of IPs through the firewall), good luck guessing the IP range.

or

b) They do something weird with the DNS, you get an IP and everything looks okay, but if you try to browse you get redirected to a portal that you have to login to.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    How times change.

When I was young, if you found yourself bored in a hotel you'd just go get a bottle of cheap booze and an even cheaper...

...on second thought, never mind... :vimp:

haha, yea i remember back to the military days, we would have never had time to surf the web at a hotel.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    Hmmm... this gives me an idea...
    I am going to buy me a wireless card just to see how many people have a wireless access point here in the dorms at Barksdale AFB.

--EDIT--
    Nevermind, the linksys wireless cards are too expensive for me to buy right now. $50 for the cheapest PCI card.