.PNG Format...

NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
edited June 2005 in Internet & Media
How exactly does one go about making a .png formatted image. Does it have to be compiled by a special type of program or does it have to have specific reqirements?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Your image editing program either supports it or doesn't. When you click "Save As" in whatever program you use, if PNG isn't in there, then you can't.
  • edited April 2005
    no you don't need any kind of special programs. if you have windows xp then you can save images as .pngs. any type of graphical editing programs will also allow you to save as png.
  • edited April 2005
    you beat me to it you tosser
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    Just for anyone's curiosity...

.PNG format would be used for charts, line graphs and other such mathematical images. .PNG is designed as the replacement for .GIF format files.

You would, however, use JPG format for photo images as a preference to PNG.

JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) for photographs
    PNG (Portable Network Graphics) for everything else
    edited April 2005
    Also to be clear: If you insist on non lossy compression, PNG is a great alternative to JPG. The file sizes are larger (Which is increasingly less important in the new era of almost-everybody-has-broadband), but sometimes the quality difference is notable. JPG is indeed the preferred format for photographic images, but it is, and always will be, a lossy image format.

If you need to trade images with people that are going to be saved and resaved, you really should use PNG since you will not lose any info by saving it. With JPG, every time you resave an image, you are throwing away image data.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    Actually, it depends on what you are doing with PNG. If you are doing a full screen shot of your monitor, the image is much bigger. However, if you are just doing a screenshot of an open window, the image file size is smaller.
  • edited April 2005
    I use .png almost exclusively for componant parts when illustrating in photoshop. I'll create something that is to be use multiple times, on a transparent background. I save as a .png and when I need it I bring it back as a layer. They're great in Illustrator as well as they have no image box (transp.) Really cuts down on paths and goes over and under text really well. As an illustrator, my opinion is that .png can really save a lot of time if used properly
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited April 2005
    I don't care if PNG is larger than JPEG, I still use PNG when I can.

As for GIF vs PNG. PNG all the way!

Get on the ball MS and fully support the entire PNG spec in IE!
  • EnverexEnverex
    uses PNG for most his site graphics

Useful for the game screenshots as they never exceed 256 colours.
    FYI, you CAN get lossless JPG images, so you don't "always" lose quality when you save.
    Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    uses PNG for most his site graphics

Useful for the game screenshots as they never exceed 256 colours.
    FYI, you CAN get lossless JPG images, so you don't "always" lose quality when you save.
    edited April 2005
    Even 100% "hi quality" jpg is lossy.

Lossless is a feature of jpg2000, which is not very widely supported
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited April 2005
    How do you make those moving images? Do you use a motion editor? The ones like some avatars that I see in this thread.
  • edited April 2005
    Those are most likely animated .gif images.
    edited June 2005
    Well how would you make a .gif with motion?
    edited June 2005
    Use a program that can save animated gifs, such as Ulead animator or adobe imageready.
    edited June 2005
    Alright. Thanx. I'll see if I can find one.