Best DVD Burner for 80$?

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Ok Im giving up on this POS LiteOn LDW-811S. It keeps locking my computer up while burning. It used to only happen when burning w/ nero, so I flashed the firmware, and now it does it in all apps. Around 75% of the way through the puter will lock up and the burner light will go from red to orange.

It also will only burn 8x discs at 2x despite it supposedly being an 8x drive. :rolleyes:

I can only afford 80$ but I want the best burner possible for that money. Is Plextor still the king? Also where can I find inexpensive dual layer media?

Or as an alternative is it possible that my lockup problems might be caused by something else? Like my mobo or something? I cant seem to transfer large files over USB 2.0 either, despite all of the latest chipset drivers, bios, patches etc. Its an Epox mobo, I dont remember the model, used to be one of the best overclockers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-4m

Comments

• MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited April 2005
    I have a NEC ND-3520a. It has been a great drive and its only $52 @ newegg. Plextors are good, but overpriced IMHO. Go for the NEC. You won't regret it.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I have the same as the above, recommended by Thrax (as usual.)

Burned about 5 movies and 7 data discs with it without a hitch, and its quiet as hell compared to my friends Lite-On jet engine.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited April 2005
    I've got a NEC 3500a .. works great.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2005
    Well looks pretty unanimous to me. And the newegg reviews seem quite enthusiastic.

I went with the NEC ND-3520A. and bonus: It comes in silver wich matches my case (bling bling).

$54 for the silver one from newegg is quite a steal too :thumbsup:

thanx for the quick suggestions fellaz! :D

Do you guys use DL media at all? Do you know where I can get it in teh cheap?
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited April 2005
    Haven't used any DL media because of the price. I would like to, but the price is going to have to drop quite a bit for me to use any.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited April 2005
    DL is still too ub3r expensive for me. The cheapest I've seen is $10 cdn / disc. I can get SL for 25 / $7 that work in my DVD player so it doesn't make much sense ATM.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    And I don't think going cheap is the right way to do it either, unfortunately. :(
  • Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited April 2005
    Madball wrote:
    I have a NEC ND-3520a. It has been a great drive and its only $52 @ newegg. Plextors are good, but overpriced IMHO. Go for the NEC. You won't regret it.

I too have the same drive and have not had any problems with this drive.