Where to start?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited April 2005 in Internet & Media
Hey guys, I know this might sound kinda stupid, but I want to learn how to program using c++, and I dont know where to start. I don't know exactly know where, or what to start with, but I've heard that the best way to start off is using visual basic, and then once you understand that, move on to c++. I would just take a class in school, but I'm taking architecture and engineering classes in school(im a junior in highschool), because I plan on majoring in the architecture field in college. So basically I want to learn how to program as a hobby. I was wondering if you know of any good books that you can buy that teach visual basic (or any other type of programming language to start off with). any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I didn't know where else to post this.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2005
    thanks. I've been researching and I've found some other good tutorials.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    i also used devcpp to write and compile c++ codes.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I wouldn't bother starting with vb.. just jump right in and learn c/c++
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2005
    thanks guys. Also, at some local colleges I found some summer courses on c++ that I'm going to take. Thanks for the help
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited April 2005
    mmm here is a little secret for you try and get Microsoft Official Visual Basic 6 and Visual C++ books

I took Programming and Advanced Programming in Highschool and it really helped me out

So if you want to learn the actual language get the official Operating System Books
    Microsoft
    Macintosh
    etc...