Need help on installing Radeon 9600 Pro on Dell 4600

tku62tku62 Lewisville, TX
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I have Dell 4600, it comes with integrated video cards on the mother board, when I tried to install Radeon 9600 Pro to the AGP slot, it does not work, ater I have installed the CD and plugged in the Radeon video card, when I test to connect my 17" flat panel to both video slot on the back of computer, the screen is just completely black, does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you.

Comments

• edited April 2005
    I've heard that Dell has made it very hard to change or upgrade anything. It's like, if they didn't build it in, you can't use it. I had a 4600 with a 1.8 processor. It came with 256M ssd ram. I could only add another 256M and it was hard to find a matched stick except through Dell. I only use it for my broadband connection now.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited April 2005
    OK, dumb question check. You are hooking the monitor up to the card that you just added right? You may need to install the drivers for the card and uninstall the drivers for the on board graphics first, then add the card. Also, are you sure the card is viable? You can also check the Dell site for the latest drivers that may help you out a little too. Are you running windows XP? Post back.
  • tku62tku62 Lewisville, TX
    edited April 2005
    I have installed the CD that came with the Radeon 9600 Pro, and I have disable the Intel(R) 82865G Graphics controller - under the Display adaptor, but after I restarted my computer with Radeon video card in the slot, once again, it is just completely black, the problem is that whenever i plug in the Radeon card, I won't see anything on the screen, thank you.
    edited April 2005
    This is what i have done.
    1. I disable the Intel(R) 82865G Graphics controller under the Display adaptor
    2. I have downloaded Microsof .NET Framework and CATALYST Componenet(Display Driver,
    CATALYST Control Center, WDM Integrated Driver - 32MB) from the following ati link:
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27
    3. I was able to installed the .NET Framework with no problem (I have not insert the Radeon card)
    4. When I tried to install the CATALYST Component, it shows that the no ATI componenet is found since I have not plug in the Radeon card yet.
    5. I have turn off the computer and insert the Radeon card while make sure that Primary adaptor is set to AUTO under F2, but once I have restart my computer with Radeon card inserted, the screen just become completely black on either Video slot on the back of the computer.

Should I uninstall my intergrated graphic card or just disable it will be enough?

Thank you.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2005
    renable the IG install the card reboot and install the drivers for the new card

reboot and make sure the new card works(moniter connected to the on board still)

shut down then plug the moniter into the new card, restart see what happens
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Have you tryed the latest dell bios ?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Don't mean to jump in and over ride anyones help, but have you tried disabling write combining? Intel has hyperthreading and disabling write combining sometimes cures the problem.
    Intel Pentium 4 processors and Intel Xeon processors include write combining store buffers to improve performance by combining multiple writes to several cache lines. If a heavily repeated inner loop writes to more than four cache lines, a single-threaded application experiences performance degradation. IE blackscreen or monitor will shut down after 5 mins or so. Just something to try if nothing else works.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I just finished helping someone else with an Intel w/monitor shutdown problems and he turned off hyperthreading and write combing to get full acceleration on his video card. And he says it screams now. aka it's fast with no problems now. Couldn't hurt to try.
    edited May 2005
    Oh, thank you for your suggestion, i was able to give up on my video card since no one can provide me a solution, i would like to try to off hyperthreading and write combing, but how do i do that? please let me know step by step if possible, thank you.
    Ming
    edited May 2005
    oh yeah..what is latest dell bios? is that a software that i can download or maybe some hardware i need to upgrade?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Here is a link to the latest bios for your computer. Download that and run it, it will reboot and update your BIOS to the latest version.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If primes BIOS update doesn't work, which I hope it does for you.
    You can try disabling the write combining first, and if that doesn't work, then the hyperthreading.
    Of course to get to write combing and turn it off you must have the onboard video enabled.
    Here's how to get to the write combining--
    Turn off the Enable Write Combining feature (Windows XP only)
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Appearance and Themes.
    3. Click Display.
    4. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
    5. Click to clear the Enable write combining check box.
    6. Click OK, and then click OK again.
    Disable onboard video.
    Reboot with Radeon 9600 in AGP slot.
    If that doesn't work---
    Then you might try disabling hyperthreading. You have to do it in the BIOS area. You'll have to look for it, I'm not familiar with your system., so I can't walk you through that one. Just look for anything that refers to hyperthreading being enabled--and disable it, save settings and reboot with Radeon 9600 in AGP slot.
    If these options don't work, you can just reverse the settings back without any damage done. Then Re Enable onboard video.