Thermalright XP-120 vs DFI LANPARTY Ultra-D ?

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi !

I'm actually searching for a GREAT performance heatsink and then i found the Thermalright XP-120. It seems to be the top for an air cooler. Its a great side-solution to an H20 cooling system for perforamance, but it's HUGE. Installation does not seem to be "easy" too.

Im planning to get an AMD computer with a DFI LANPARTY Ultra-D motherboard... Does this heatsink will fit on this ? I don't want to realise later that it doesn't fit :p

Do you recommand me to buy one of will i have probleme with this huge sized heatsink ? I've never install one before so if it's realy difficult to install i'll probably change my mind about this sutff.

Thankx

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    According to the compatibility section of Thermalright's website, the first PCI-e slot is blocked by the XP-120's heatpipes. If that's a problem for you, I'd recommend the XP-90 or XP-90C.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It fits and it doesn't block any pci slots actually. However, you need to use ram without heatspreader as the pipes is hanging over the ramslots. I would rather get the XP-90 to be sure as it cools just about as good.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2005
    So The XP-90 is smaller ? If it's the case i'll go with it for sure... One smaller heatsink is better than a huge that doesn't fit ;)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Check out the XP-90C model, Same as the XP-90, but made with copper instead of Al. With a high-flow fan, it may cool a little better.
    edited April 2005
    Thank you for the advice lemonlime, i was actually thinking that the C model was cheaper made or something like that. I'll go for the XP-90C then :)

Hope another post will not make me change my mind again hah ;D
    edited April 2005
    Man, you were right ! The XP-90C rocks !

I've just read some reviews of this one and the result are quite impressive. It's even beating the XP-120 in the cooling performance benchtest. :D

It's smaller, it's better, it will be mine :thumbsup:

The only negative point is the weigth of this thing, but to have an all-cooper hardware piece this is the price to pay i think, and i'll gladly pay it :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The weight is a non-issue.