My monitor is...

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2005 in Hardware
My monitor is Hurting my eyes!

I just want to buy a nice cheap flat monitor for gaming. Like the cheapest flat monitor I can find.

Any suggestions on monitors?

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    Always start with ViewSonic, then go with NEC when looking at flat panel displays
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2005
    Whats your budjet?
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2005
    hmmm budget. I dunno within reason.

200 bucks or 250 bucks
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    Hmmm, sounds like you can afford a 15" flat panel. Check www.newegg.com for prices.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I just got a Dell FP2001 and I can tell you a good LCD is a graphical epiphany. I would get something with a response time of at least 16 ms. You have quite a few choices between $200 and 250$. I would go to Newegg. Select shop by category, put in your budget, the color and features you want, and then sort by best rating. I just did that and there are 83 options.

Just remember the last thing you want is a "cheap" monitor....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    NewEgg has the ViewSonic VA712B for $241 right now. It is 17" 1280x1024 DVI 8ms response time.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2005
    Well theres this thread at slickdeals for a NEC 17" LCD with DVI $180 AR at staples.. Looks like its still available even though it started 1/2/05.

That seems like a good deal, although I absolutely dispise mail in rebates.
    edited April 2005
    Some other things I forgot to mention are:

What kind of video connection does your graphics card support? The DVI connection has the best picture, but some LCDs (cheaper ones) don't support it and some graphics cards don't even have it.

What is the resolution you want to run games at? Whatever that is, it's best to get a monitor with that as its native resolution. Depending on the LCD, the picture at any other resolution can get significantly worse. Most 17" LCDs support 1280 x 1024.
  • lemonlimelemonlime
    pats his 22" 150 pound CRT on the back :D

You could look at it in another light as well, I recently picked up a fantastic NEC Multisync FE1250+ (22" .24dp Apature Grill Trinitron, 1600x1200@8...
    Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    pats his 22" 150 pound CRT on the back :D

You could look at it in another light as well, I recently picked up a fantastic NEC Multisync FE1250+ (22" .24dp Apature Grill Trinitron, 1600x1200@87Hz) for only $299CDN, which is around $150US. The picture is fantastic.

I was originally looking for an LCD, but I didn't think they had quite matured enough yet (this was about 8 months ago). Going to wait for the widescreen standard to evolve a bit more in the PC market.
    edited April 2005
    my radeon 9800 suports it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    DVI is a noticeable difference from analog. That viewsonic monitor I linked is a DVI capable monitor.
    edited April 2005
    lemonlime,
    I was in total agreement with you until I noticed over the past 6 months the prices and performance of large LCDs steadily improving. I had a very nice IIyama that was great, but the Dell 2001FP is even better. I couldn't pass up its fantastic picture/performance, an increase of more than an inch in viewable "real estate", 4 USB ports, Picture-in-Picture, and GREATLY reduced weight/size. I was also impressed that it has no dead pixels. Dell has some great specials right now.... :wink:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    What is your current monitor like? I'm referring to size, etc.

I would never talk anyone out of a monitor upgrade, since everything you do on a computer is much more enjoyable with a nice picture. But, seeing as how you just got a new video card, have you checked the screen resolution and refresh rate of your current setup? When you say it hurts you eyes, I can't help but wonder if part of the problem is that you're still at the WinXP default 60MHz refresh rate and stuck in too low a resolution.

Just a thought. :)
    edited April 2005
    well its a 17 inch, glass dell monitor that takes up my whole desk and flickers time to time X_X
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    well its a 17 inch, glass dell monitor that takes up my whole desk and flickers time to time X_X
    Go for a new one. :thumbsup: