mup.sys?

rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
What does mup.sys do, i.e. what is the file's funtion in Windows XP?

My computer locked up at it on boot, but luckilly I was able to remedy the problem.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Mup.sys

Destination OS 32-bit Windows under Windows NT
    File Type Network Device Driver
    CompanyName Microsoft Corporation
    FileDescription Multiple UNC Provider driver
    InternalName MUP.SYS
    OriginalFilename MUP.SYS

Probably more than you'd ever want to know. :D

Out of curiosity, how did you fix it? I hunted around and found dozens of seemingly unrelated "fixes", ranging from keyboard drivers to unplugging USB devices to switching cards around in your PCI slots.
  • rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited April 2005
    I installed the HDD into another computer, mainly to back up important files. I got that done and all I did after that was run a scandisk. I installed the HDD back into my main computer and booted up... it ran fine. I've had mup.sys hangs before and those times I've had to re-install Windows XP.

Anyhow, thanks for the link. Mup.sys must be some sort of magical super file of some sort. ;)

...after reading the link, I still have a question. If mup.sys deals with networking, why does in cause so many problems on boot?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It loads at boot.
    edited April 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    It loads at boot.

:scratch: ????
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    rc: There is a lot of Network stuff which loads at boot. This would be essential for those logging on to a server/domain/etc.

In the Win9x days, it seemed like nearly half the computers I worked on which could only boot in Safe Mode had a Network issue as the source of the problem. It's less of a problem with WinXP.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    rc1974 wrote:
    :scratch: ????

It gives you a problem at boot because it <i>loads</i> at boot. If the file is corrupted, you run into problems.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    mup.sys isnt causing the problem... (long sigh.....)

When you see it on the screen or in safe mode it's hanging...

ON THE NEXT FILE. Not the one displayed. They display when they finish.

You could of cleaned the disk easier by booting off the XP cd and using recovery console. Would of taken 5 minutes.

Tex
    edited April 2005
    The problem is fixed and that is good. :)

I was just curious why mup.sys seems to be notorious for making XP hang when it(mup.sys) gets corrupted. :scratch: Other files get corrupted.

you're right, I could have used the CD, but the room where the computer(s) are is a total mess as far as organization goes, so thought it easier to do what I did. That is all.