Microsoft Details More Longhorn Features

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
As Microsoft approaches a major milestone in the development of Longhorn, company executives are talking more about the features of the Windows XP successor, which they say will be easier to use, more secure, and less costly to manage than earlier versions of Windows.
When it comes to security and safety, Microsoft will give users features like parental controls for Web surfing, Allchin said. And when browsing the Web, Internet Explorer will run in a "protected space" so it can't impact the rest of the system, while those guards can be dropped when connected to a corporate intranet, he said.

"We want to make the system as invulnerable as possible," Allchin said.

Longhorn will also have a feature designed to protect data on a PC. "We will have something called secure startup where if you lose your laptop it won't make a difference because somebody can't load another system on there to analyze your hard disk," Allchin said.
Source: PCWorld

Comments

• FAH_WWFAH_WW Training in Indianapolis, IN
    edited April 2005
    Only thing is this doesnt protect against the users, who tend to be the reason for installing the kind of junk on their PCs allowing a takeover.

Using a lower-righted account and passwording say a parent's account won't help much if the parent gives the pwd to the child...
  • edited April 2005
    exactly. hell we have the problem with users sharing there passwords on the network i help support.
  • edited April 2005
    I really have preferred a PC (Windows) to a Mac for many years. But I think that the time has come and gone when Mac has surpassed Windows with Tiger. What I've seen regarding Longhorn is it's still the same dull unimaginative interface that Windows has always been. I'm switching to a Mac as soon as possible. I was hoping for more with Longhorn.