ECS D6VAA = decent dualie board?

redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
edited April 2005 in Hardware
for a firs timer?

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Probably not. ECS is the low end value king. These are "budget boards". And I have sold a bunch of their super cheapie MB's as Fry's packages them witha 2400+ CPU for $49 to $59 all the time. For a cheape no frills upgrade they work fine. By the way ECS doesnt do (unless they changed) any end user support. You couldnt ship the boards back to them when they broke. The dealer was supposed to handle support/RMA's and many didnt.

It's harder to make a solid stable dualie board. I have owned maybe 15 in the last 36 months. I have a pair of dual opterons now. So I have run MSI, Tyan, and Asus dualies. Based on both XP/MP's Xeons and opterons. Don't skimp. I have bought every one of my boards on ebay. usually for 25 to 40 percent of the new purchase price. Better getting a good used dualie from a major manufacturer with dualie experiance and that offers a good warranty. MSI's is like 3 years from date of manufacturer for example.

There are ways to save money on a rig like this. I am an expert at scarfing parts cheap. email or PM me for help. I can point out a super vendor for cheap CPU's for example.

I have $281 in my latest dual opteron setup which includes MB and a PAIR of 242 opterons for $281. This is a MSI K8D. The MB usually cost over $350 alone new. I paid $81 for the MB.

I have the two dual opterons, 2 amd 64 3000's in MSI neo MB's an AMD64 3200+ in a MSI micro ATX MB and a new 3400+ socket 939 in a DFI Ultra all running here in my house right and I have bought all the cpu's from the same guy. I bought everything but the DFI Ultra Mb on ebay.

I also have another (long sigh....) Intel dual xeon motherboard being shipped to me right now and should arrive by late next week I may be willing to sell. The true Intel branded MB's are usually not flashy but rock solid xeon boards if you want to pick that baby up cheap. I can even assemble it for you and sell you a package with cpu's memory and everything all setup and ready to go. I do this for a living and trust me... If you don't do this much having it come all setup and tested ready to just bolt into your case and go is worth it.

Tex
  • jef-pal106jef-pal106 Manila
    edited April 2005
    based on my experience with ECS.... it will soon be a headache for you... try other manufacturer like Asus, DFi, MSI or Abit... dont include ECS on your mobo list... please.... :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    I would only buy an ECS board for a cheap folding setup. Like Tex mentioned the ECS motherboard + CPU combos from Fry's are good. But thats about it really.