Which PC3200?

MeunoukMeunouk Wales, UK
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Abit NF7-S Version 2.0
AMD XP3200

What memory would be best, I have PC2700 (PC3200 broke, so im getting a refund and getting the best memory i can)?

I was looking at Kingston Hyper X, or Corsair TwinX

DDR400
Kingston Hyper X 2 x 512 MEG is £130.98 inc VAT
Corsair TwinX 2 x 512 MEG is £121.89 inc VAT

CL2 is on both, which would be best? I can overclock my XP3200 to at least 2.4, probably more, but I want the best timings and speed, so which would you suggest I get (or other suggestions?)

Thanks for your time

Comments

• SlydogSlydog Bristol UK Member
    edited April 2005
    I have been in a similar predicament and was recommended the Ocz PC3200 Platinum revision 2:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=66693

its a bit more expensive than the two you are looking at (about £170) but apparently worth the notes

or if you are overclocking alot, why not look into some pc4000 memory? just a suggestion :)
  • MeunoukMeunouk Wales, UK
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, that does look good. But Pricey too. Im not sure how far I can go with the Processor, I have had it at 219 by 11 (multiplier is locked :( ) and had the memory in sync it was at 430 but it wasnt stable (heck, the memory wasnt stable at 400, I got ripped)

What 4000 would you be looking at? Price and timings, because I would be happy with 215 or even 200 x 11 if I get nice timings and low latency you know
  • SlydogSlydog Bristol UK Member
    edited April 2005
    From what several people have said to me, the ocz memory is the dogs conkers but does come at a premium (if you can get them from the US they are a little cheaper).

I'm lookign at some of the ocz gold series with cas 2.0 because i'm looking to invest in a new dfi NF4 s939 system when the new venice cores come out so this memory will hopefully be great to overclock with in the new 64 bit system. to be honest, the memory you decide on will be dictated by the size of your wallet.

I think that geil memory is also pretty good so i would look at that aswell. i'm i the same predicament as you however and keep changing my mind with each new suggestion (and with each pay day!!) that is made. have a peek at http://www.ocztechnology.com/ and see which suits your needs best.

also, are you overclocking on stock voltage?
  • edited April 2005
    If you plan to overclock that 3200 on an unmodded nf7-S board, ram using the Samsung TCCD chips is the way to go. The OCZ 3200 Plat. Rev. 2 is using those ram chips. If you want to read about various ddr manufacturers that are using these chips, go to anandtech's site and read some of their later ddr reviews as they did some extensive testing of various manufacturer's ddr that uses the TCCD chips. It will give you an idea of who is making TCCD based ram sticks that you can buy in the UK, by looking at what is available in your area of the world and comparing it to the ram tested at anandtech. BTW, I would hazzard a guess that you should be able to get to 225-230 fsb with TCCD based ram and 2-2-2-10 timings and higher than that if you relax the timings a little with your nf7-s (depends more on how well your northbridge likes high fsb on your board). Plus, if you upgrade, this ram also works well on A64 boards too.
  • MeunoukMeunouk Wales, UK
    edited April 2005
    I did get my Barton up to 219 at stock voltages, and didnt need to push it past 1.75 for like a week, now it wont do that, and im not sure why, seems like I have to put it to 1.85 + to get it back to 219

I was able to boot up with my PC2700 oc to 430 ( :D ) with it @ 2.9, the PC3200 was able to do it a little lower from what I can remember

I will no doubt be going 64 bit next year, so I would like memory to be able to make the leap with me from 32 to 64, so I guess I dont mind spending a little bit more for a longer time you know

That OCZ does look good :thumbsup:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2005
    Yep TCCD chips are the way to go for your current & future needs, I use Patriot XBLK dual channel kit as it's cheaper than OCZ products & just as good imo.

Mine is mem test stable upto 275fsb in dual channel mode but I'm currently memtesting it at 290fsb in single channel mode. It would appear that either my cpu or motherboard can not handle that high a frequency in dual channel mode.