Toshiba Develops New 3-D, Flat-Panel Display

RewiredRewired Member
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Toshiba Corp said Friday it has developed a brand-new flat-display that allows viewers to see three-dimensional images without using special glasses. The new display will be exhibited at the "The 1st Display 2005 International FPD Expo," which will be held from April 20 to April 22, 2005 at Tokyo Big Sight in Tokyo, Japan. The company said it aims to commercialize the display within two years.
Viewing the display from an angle allows the viewer to experience 3-D images that stand out several centimeters from the surface of the display. The new technology opens up new areas of application for 3-D displays, including arcade games, e-learning, simulations of buildings and landscapes, and even 3-D menus in restaurants.
Source: Toshiba

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2005
    now if they could only make one that did not need a backlight :grumble:
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited April 2005
    pr0n.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm no expert, but from what I could initially see, this new technology won't have very much definition in them. Maybe I'm wrong?

Edit:

Woot, I feel smart. After actually someing some of the article I saw this at the end.
    "Toshiba has applied the new technology to 24- and 15.4- inch displays with 480 x 300 pixels, a resolution 1.5 times that found in the company's conventional 3-D displays, allowing viewers to see high quality stereoscopic images."

Which is much less than I even figured, I was wondering why the images shown were so small :p