Quick Problem

edited April 2005 in Hardware
I got back from vacation and was restarting the farm and one of my old workhorses that I've never had a lick of a problem with failed to start today.

It's an asus AN266-VM motherboard micro-atx, amd 2100+, gig of value ram, and aopen case with some psu, unknown brand. I flipped the power switch and nothing at all. No fans inside the case, no psu kicking on, nada, zilch. I open the case and notice the led on the motherboard is lit. I take off the leads from the power switch and try to jump them manually with no luck. I turn off the psu from the back side of the psu and the led on the mobo goes dim as it should. Any quick ideas on where to start or just go through the whole process of elimination from the top? A quick look of the motherboard traces reveals no obvious signs of something afoul although the sight is hindered by numerous wires in the tight confines of a micro-atx case. All cables appear to be fine.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    have your tryed to hotwire the psu (green wire to any black wire on it)

That should make it start if it doesnt the psu is dead.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Many PSU lose a the 12v and the 5v still works. If that's the case, the LED may be getting its power but the rest of the board isn't. Antec has a power Supply Tester. (See this thread regarding tester...) Posts #12 through #15 talk directly about the testers.
  • edited April 2005
    K thanks I'll check it out. I have a few spare psu's around so I'll swap that part out to see if it is the culprit. I hope it is as it'll make it easy for me to fix.