Adobe Buys Macromedia in Stock Buyout

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
In a bit of rather shocking news, it appears that Adobe, Inc., creators of professional video and graphic design software such as Photoshop and Premiere, has purchased direct rival Macromedia. Macromedia is also in the business of professional design software, most notably Flash and Dreamweaver. Where this leaves Macromedia's product portfolio, one can only imagine. Full details can be found at the press release at Adobe's website.

Source: Adobe.com

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I almost didn't believe it when I saw it... I wonder what this means for dreamweaver (golive sucks) and flash (does anybody even remember adobe's competing product?)... :eek3:

Say goodbye to freehand and fireworks, that much I can almost guarantee...
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I am sad...so sad
  • edited April 2005
    They were great competitors, I bet this won't bode well for the consumers in the end.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    NNNNNNNNNNNNnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!111 :bawling:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    So... Corel bought Jasc. Adobe bought Macromedia. What's next? :bawling:
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    Does Apple own a chunk of Adobe? I thought I remember reading that somewhere sometime ago but the memory is vague
    edited April 2005
    No, apple is not really in bed with Adobe. Apple sort of ditched adobe on the whole premiere/final cut thing and there's been a bit of bad blood ever since.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    I guess the ADOBE site is being hit hard as it's down for me. Nevertheless...Adobe is in an agreement to purchase Macromedia for 3.4 Billion dollars.

There are two ways of looking at this.

1) The "Darth Gates" approach. If you can't beat your competition...buy them and make them go away.

2) If you want more financial profit. Buy your competition and own both sides of the fence.

I don't think that Macromedia products will go away overnight. Adobe may integrate the Macromedia code/philosophy into a future Adobe release and merry the names thus swaying Macromedia fans over to Adobe.

EG: New Adobe Web Designer

And the Macromedia logo will be incorporated itnto it.

I think both products will be available for a time but a migration will occur to begin moving Macromedia fans over to Adobe. There will be more emphasis on making a new Adobe product and less R&D into Macromedia.
  • edited April 2005
    I liken this to the compaq/hp merger/buyout. Both companies had very similar lines of products and it wound up being a poor decision in the end. I suspect this will be the same (bad when all the dust settles) although there is a difference between two large hardware companies merging versus two large software companies merging.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    I have a bad fealing about this.......
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Goddamn. Thats all I have to say... goddamn.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Wow this is shocking, it's too bad if Fireworks goes away as you predicted Brian, I really like it, but I haven't used the Adobe equivalent. But definitly crazy news.

The Adobe site is slammed, but Macromedia has a press release about it right here http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2005/adobe_macromedia.html
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    :clap:

i love adobe
    edited April 2005
    I'm as adobe-fanboy as they come, but golive was crap compared to dreamweaver, and of course there's only one FLASH.

I hope they don't try to cram adobe's tool interface onto flash and call it a new version. That's my biggest fear.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    My biggest fear is being stripped naked and smeared with dog poo in a crowded city street. But that thing you said, that's a close second.
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited April 2005
    The combination of Adobe and Macromedia strengthens our mission of helping people and organizations communicate better. Through the combination of our powerful development, authoring and collaboration tools – and the complementary functionality of PDF and Flash – we have the opportunity to drive an industry-defining technology platform that delivers compelling, rich content and applications across a wide range of devices and operating systems.

Has anyone ever read a statement more full of bullshit ever?
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Has anyone ever read a statement more full of bull**** ever?

Actually, I have. That statement isn't bs, thats what should be done in a takeover like that. You buy out the other company to get ahold of their stuff and use it in your own, thus improving your product. This isn't just a takeover where you buy the company and flush them down the toilet because they were a competitor, Adobe WANTS to not only make more profit but to use Macro's software in their own. I don't understand why everything in the software business world has to be the Emperor taking over and disbanding the sentate all the time...

On second thought...... Geeks, geek industry, gotta find a bad guy somewhere who is on the dark side... ;D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I weep for the future of Dreamweaver.
  • edited April 2005
    I'm not sure there in an adobe equivalent to Fireworks. Oh, unless you refer to Photoshop. Actually Flash could stand some refinements. What was that great web/animation app Adobe had? Livemotion? Yeah, they got a handle on web graphics allright. Their answer to Dreamweaver, Go live, Another rousing success story hey? Freehand can go away, who cares. Corel hasn't come up with anything innovative since Coreldraw 6 and I couldn't tell you what that was. Adobe is now the Microsoft of graphics and there isn't any Apple to poke them in the butt from time to time. I can only assume that this [merger] is for a common good and that Adobe products will somehow be better, not that you can ask for much more from Photoshop. All will be well with the world.
  • deepseadeepsea Lancaster, PA
    edited April 2005
    I've uninstalled Macromedia Flush player, and if necessary, I'll kill Adobe, too. I don't want any application that intentionally makes the web irritating.