The reason for the server slowdowns!

edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
I just picked this up from the front page at The WeatherMan's site; I hope he doesn't mind me quoting it.:)
What's New (06/06/2003)
Worldwide DOS attack
FAH servers are back
Vijay Pande wins an award

You may or may not have noticed that there have been some issues with the Stanford servers. While the FAH team was working on backing up a hard drive with a problem, (then discovered another drive with issues), a world-wide DOS (denial of service) attack started about the same time. For a while the Stanford FAH stats server had some issues because Stanford (not the FAH team) was trying to deal with the DOS problem and were redirecting and shutting down some of their connections to try and solve the problem. A new variant of the BugBear Mass Mailing Worm started spreading quickly around June 4th. Since this mostly affects mail servers with a large number of email accounts (read that as corporations, universities, etc.) it causes a lot of problems. This is a very, very nasty Worm.
Some of its abilities are:
Mass-mailer, Network Share Propagator, Keylogger, Remote Access Trojan, Polymorphic Parasitic File Infector and Security Software Terminator.
In other words, it's a real nasty sucker. Don't open any email attachments before you use an updated virus scanner to make sure you don't have an attachment that's infected. I've had a lot of infected emails sent to me from a lot of people who are infected with this bad boy worm.

The good news is that the FAH servers seem to be back up and running. I no longer have any work units in que waiting to be sent back. If you still have some, don't worry too much about it. You'll get a nice spike in your daily production when they are sent... makes you look powerful for at least a day

I guess some more little script kiddies playing their tricks again.:mad: Looks like everyone needs to make sure their AV proggies are freshly updated too.

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the update muddocktor. Our mail servers at work were hit big time this week with that Bug Bear virus. They didnt let any infections through but the amount of traffice was astronomical.

Evil bloody things.:(
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I noticed that hiccup, glad the Pande group was on top of things.:mad:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    And i lost a wu since it went out on the time limit. :(

Fold on!