Bandai to release first UMD-DVD bundle

RewiredRewired Member
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Bandai announced today that it will be the first company to release a product in a bundle that includes both the DVD and UMD editions.
On July 22, the publisher will release the first volume of Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven, an anime series currently airing on Japanese TV. The bundle will let owners watch the program on both their home DVD systems and on their PSPs via Sony's proprietary Universal Media Disc format.

The two-disc DVD-UMD set will retail for 5,250 yen ($49). Consumers can also purchase a DVD-only version for 3,990 yen ($37). Bandai says these options will be standard for future releases of this particular anime series.
Source: GameSpot

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Anyone know if the UMD's are currently only on the PSP? Or will they soon be on other things?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Supposedly the PS3 will use UMD in some way. It's unlikely that we'll see anything else using UMD, but I can envision small DVD players and media players using it too if Sony really wanted.

Expect it to be a shallow market uptake, like most proprietary things Sony ****s out.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    The UMD is currently a Sony thing. (Like the Vaio computers)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Supposedly the PS3 will use UMD in some way. It's unlikely that we'll see anything else using UMD, but I can envision small DVD players and media players using it too if Sony really wanted.

Expect it to be a shallow market uptake, like most proprietary things Sony ****s out.

I think UMD is freakin Awsome... and this coming from someone who hates most of Sony's propietary stuff.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Why is it called "universal" if it only works on two things? :crazy: