Lawmakers Revive Net Connect Tax Ban

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
U.S. Sen. George Allen continued his assault on Internet taxes today, proposing legislation to permanently ban taxes on Internet connections.
Allen's proposal would keep in place the current grandfather clause but will strip away that exemption in 2007 and make the ban permanent, a move that is likely to force another Senate confrontation over the taxation of the Internet.

Earlier this month the Virginia Republican rolled out a bill to exempt the Internet from excise taxes.

Last year, Congress passed a new four-year ban on state and federal taxation of Internet connections, extending a moratorium that dates back to 1998.

After a bitter, two-year struggle over the measure, the measure passed only after states that were taxing Internet connections prior to 1998 were granted a grandfather exemption. Now Allen is targeting those grandfathered states.
Source: Internet News

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    DO IT!! I swear I'll vote against my representatives if they don't agree to this. :rarr:

//edit: I just e-mailed Senator Allen my support and e-mailed Senator Spector and Representative Pitts similar messages asking them to endorse it.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited April 2005
    Just curious... What state elected Senator Allen as a senator?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited April 2005
    Just a hunch by reading the quote KF posted, but I'm guessing Virginia.