WiFi & USB

witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok - I guess I am going to dive into something new for me! My wife has a class reunion in June and I will have lots of free time while she is attending class functions. I decided to take some movies with me to watch..... The motel doesn't have DVD OR VHS players - but they do have wireless network for the whole building. I asked if I bring a desktop PC do they have a CT5 connection. Well, no, so I would have to get along with dial-up. Heck, I don't even own a modem anymore. I have no use for a laptop and I want to watch some DVD movies so that's why I'm taking my newest 'build' with a 19" LCD and I wonder if a USB Wireless adapter is any good or would you suggest PCI? This will go on a P4 3.4 GHz with DDR PC3200 512X2 and the OS is XP Pro with SP2. Thanks for any advice - all I really need the network for is sending and receiving work units for F @ H :fold: Jack

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    usb wifi is very troublesome, get PCI if u can.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I was at a meeting recently and a friend was using one that worked fine, but it was a brand name ($50) one.
    For that money you can buy a great PCI card and have $20 left over.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    http://www.slickdeals.net/#p5990

free AMIR - PCI or USB wireless G card
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the info - I am a little more confident today. My neighbor let me borrow his D-Link 11Mbps USB adapter. This one works great here (He brought over a Lynksys Wireless Router too) :) To be safe, I ordered a D-Link/ PCI/Wirless card - that's the one I will take on the trip. Jack