Better choice in video card - 6600 or 9800pro

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Hardware
I currently have this sapphire radeon 9800 pro, but recently came across this chaintech 6600.

Would it be worth replacing my 9800 pro with this card, or should I just not bother (i.e. will the framerates stay within 10% of each other, making it a useless upgrade)

Note that I am not a framerate or benchmark jockey. If the 9800 gets 55 and the 6600 gets 59 on the same test, then I don't think I'll bother.

If the 6600 is a significant upgrade, I'll change over.

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited April 2005
    I would say that going to the 6600 would be better due to it having better technology, more pipes and whatnot. Plus, new toys are always fun. However, since the effective stats are higher for your current card so it, technically, should be the better card. Boy, am I helpful or what???

Magic 8 ball says....Keep your card...
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I think the only upgrade you'd want to make from a 9800Pro would be a 6600GT minimum, that's what I'm noticing at least. I could be completely wrong, but I'd like an answer to this as well -- seeing as how I, too, own a 9800Pro.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Hi Prime,

Definatly stay with your 9800pro. Your 9800 will be much quicker than that card. The 6600GT is quicker than the 9800P's in some respects, but even in that case, the difference is small. The non-GT 6600's (like the chaintech you linked) would be a step backwards. Keep an eye out for a X800XL :thumbsup: or 6800-vanilla card, those would be worthwhile upgrades. Not $139 though unfortunatly.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Unless it's a GT, it's not gonna make a huge difference worth the investment :(

Sit out a little longer, GT prices in AGP will continue to fall with the adoption of PCI-E, I hardly need to tell you that ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    it's not something I actively went out and pursued. It happened to come across my desk and so it's going into my son's computer... However, if it was better than dad's 9800pro, there would have been a switcheroo ;)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    ...there would have been a switcheroo ;)

Ahh, how I love the switcheroo.. I have done many-a-switcheroo in my day..
    :mullet:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    nah it's not worth it. the benches show the 9800pro a little better but I think the 6600gt is a little better on framerates in actual games.
    You can get a 6800gt at around $305 ...that's probably what you should keep your eye on as far as agp. I think that card will stay lower than the 800xl for a while since it costs a little extra to produce the agp version of the new ati cards.
  • edited April 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Ahh, how I love the switcheroo.. I have done many-a-switcheroo in my day..
    :mullet:
    ROFL, im with you. I have done the switcheroo on many unsuspecting vict...er...people.