geforce 6600GT AGP

edited May 2005 in Hardware
hey there all jsut wondered if you guys could give me some advice on which 6600gt AGP to buy. like which brand is best ?

also overclocking would be cool. and do you guys know of any sites taht has benchmark comparisons of all the brands (AGP)

thanks in advance !!! :thumbsup:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Generally speaking, the brand usually makes little difference. Most manufacturers follow the 'reference' card layout and design, so essentially you get an identical card from manufacturer to manufacturer. So, if brand X sells their card for $250 and brand Y for $300, go for brand X :) Brand Xssss..The Joker Brand.. (memories of batman, sorry, couldn't resist). Unless a company overclocks the card out of the box, or uses different memory etc, you'll see pretty much identical benchmarks across the gt cards.

eVga usually follows nvidia's reference board design to the 'T' as well as PNY. So if you want a card as nvidia intended, they would be a good place to look. Some companies improve on the reference design, so I'm not saying reference is always best; BGF comes to mind, as well as Asus in this respect.

I dont think I really answered your question :D but take a look and see what brand gives you the best bang for the buck. As far as I know, there are no terrible, or unreliable 6600gt's out there.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I usually pick the one with the coolest looking cooler and the most software in the package. ;) Oh, I like colors too! :thumbsup:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    i own a msi version. love it!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150080

here you go ...$189 -$30 mail in rebate!
    On a different note I just got a $50 mail in rebate return from samsung! :thumbsup:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    i too have heard that eVGA is a good brand to go with. I'm thinking about getting a new video card soon, maybe this summer. I've just been leaning towards the 6600GT, so please let me know how it goes for you.

Also- Are you replacing a video card or building a new computer? If you're replacing it, is it a brand switch?
  • edited May 2005
    hey hey hows it going ... yea ive done some reasearch and i got the leadtek 6600GT TDH one .. its company overclocked fastest one out there other than the Gainwind one which u cant get in North America yet cuz of some reason (i duno). ... or maybe u can find one than get that one .. but the leadtek is cheap and FASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    lol
  • edited May 2005
    Not one of you has answered this correctly, XFX are the best brand in the market simply because they know their way around the layout of the generic boards soo well they use better RAM modules, normally cheaper graphics cards of the same spec are cheaper because like the 6600GT cards some brands use 2.2ns RAM modules and other brands like XFX use 1.6ns RAM modules which are faster, also different brand of cards use different heatsinks, look out for clock speeds when buying a graphics card of the same model one company could be selling you a nicely clocked 6600GT at 1050mhz whereas the other will be selling one clocked at 1000mhz the price difference isnt much for the faster one. Also check the RAM speed go for 1.6ns which is faster.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    my apollo works GREAT.and overclockes well
    AND DID I MENTION..LOL THE HUGE HEAT SINK..LOL
    IT A LILTTLE NOISEY,BUT I LIKE THE SOUND OF A HARD WORKIN CARD..IT PLAYS ALL THE NEWEST GAMES MAXED OUT GRAPHICS..!!!!!!!! HERES A PIC OF MY BAD BIOTCH..
  • edited May 2005
    Hi guys well I just sold my FX5900ultra!! and bought a PNY Geforce 6600gt 128mb!! now it should make a difference!
    edited May 2005
    nice.!!! it always better to throw away trash..lol :D
  • edited May 2005
    Well i was really dissapointed with it lol and I even went and bout 2x512mb OCZ with heat spreader PC3200 ram!! :-D CL2.5
    edited May 2005
    a bought several heat sinks for my ram, they work ok. :thumbsup: