nForce2 Ultra 400 Driver Update?

T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I recently upgraded my GA7N400Pro2 from AMD Athlon 2700+ with 1Mb OCZ2700(333) Dual Channel RAM to the AMD Athlon XP3200+ and 1Mb OCZ3200(400) Dual Channel RAM. I also upgraded the BIOS for the MB from F4 to F11. Most is OK and benchmark scores have increased. However, I do get a mysterious reboot at strange times for no reason. My Virus, Firewall and Spy programs have not changed and do remain current. I have not updated my nForce2 Drivers from 3.13 since purchasing the board. If I upgrade to 5.10 could this help and should I Uninstall the 3.13 nForce drivers before installing 5.10? My information is as follows...
Ga7N400 Pro2 BIOSF11
AMD AthlonXP 3200+ No OC
1Mb OCZ Dual Channel (2x 512) PC3200 Syncronous with CPU
XFX GeForceFX 6600GT 128Mb AGP
WindowsXP Home SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    I would certainly give those latest nforce drivers a shot. I'm not sure what the best practices are :D but it would probably be a good idea to uninstall your previous drivers before getting the new ones, especially considering the big gap in versions there.

You may also want to run a quick 'memtest86+' to find out if your ram is the culpret. Also, what powersupply are you using in that rig?
  • T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
    edited April 2005
    lemonlime, thanx for responding. I am running an Enermeax Noisetaker 420w Power Supply, it is set to manual and running at just over 5000rpm. I was just about to go ahead and install the new chipset drivers over the old ones.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    T-LAM-C wrote:
    lemonlime, thanx for responding. I am running an Enermeax Noisetaker 420w Power Supply, it is set to manual and running at just over 5000rpm. I was just about to go ahead and install the new chipset drivers over the old ones.

Occasionally weak powersupplies have a hard time coping with upgraded hardware with higher power demands. Your noisetaker is a good quality unit, and I would not imagine it is the culpret. Still might be worthwhile taking a look at the voltages (usually you can view these in the bios).

Good luck with those chipset drivers, hopefully they fix your problem

:thumbsup:
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited April 2005
    Looks like LemonLime has got you pretty hooked up.

I typically just install new nForce drivers over the old ones, never had any problems doing it that way. It's always good to keep your core drivers up to date, but in this instance I'm tempted to suspect a hardware problem, but without more info on the reboot behavier that's just idle speculation.

If you're getting blue screens (before the reboots) with varying error messages with no consistent pattern, your memory would be the first place I'd look. So like the good LemonLime said, test your memory, and check your voltages are stable.

You may want to, just for testing purposes, relax your memory timings aswell, see if that helps.

If you continue to have trouble, post back.
  • T-LAM-CT-LAM-C The Old-English "D"
    edited April 2005
    lemonlime, Spinner, thank you both for your response, Ive never gotten the BlueScreen of death, just a complete shut down and reboot, as if I hit the reset button or something. I did go ahead and remove the old 3.1 nForce2 drivers and install the 5.10 and lost the detection of my GeForce 6600GT video card and its current drivers. I restored to the old 3.1 and all is well with the exception of the strange reboots. I have noticedd some details, though, when I access windows task manager I reboot, and when I access windows device manager I reboot also! I am running Zone Alarm Pro 5.5 for my firewall, AVG 7.0 for antivirus and SpySubtract Pro 2.64 w/CWShredder for anti-spyware. All are up to date and current. Thanx for your help bit I amd about to lose it!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited April 2005
    T-LAM-C wrote:
    lemonlime, Spinner, thank you both for your response, Ive never gotten the BlueScreen of death, just a complete shut down and reboot, as if I hit the reset button or something. I did go ahead and remove the old 3.1 nForce2 drivers and install the 5.10 and lost the detection of my GeForce 6600GT video card and its current drivers. I restored to the old 3.1 and all is well with the exception of the strange reboots. I have noticedd some details, though, when I access windows task manager I reboot, and when I access windows device manager I reboot also! I am running Zone Alarm Pro 5.5 for my firewall, AVG 7.0 for antivirus and SpySubtract Pro 2.64 w/CWShredder for anti-spyware. All are up to date and current. Thanx for your help bit I amd about to lose it!
    Test your memory mate then post back. You need to do this first before we can start exploring the other possibilities. Here's the download link for memtest: http://www.short-media.com/download.php?d=223

Also see here: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=276

With regard to your nForce drivers, uninstall them, and your graphics drivers, restart, (turn off your antivirus) then install the updated nForce drivers, restart, (turn off your antivirus) then install the latest graphics drivers, restart. (click cancel to any and all driver installation pop-ups that Windows displays if they ask for your intervention)

Test your memory first though. We need to rule that out.