AMD Launching Dual Core Athlons Tomorrow

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
The Inquirer reports that AMD is set to release their first batch of Athlon 64 X2's tomorrow.
AMD says production-ready CPUs are now shipping to some leading OEMs and system builders world-wide. General system availability is scheduled for June, we learned.

The chippery will be available for both mobile (Desktop replacement) and desktop computers and feature enhanced virus protection and 'Cool 'n' Quiet' declocking marchitecture.
Source: The Inquirer

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    :leet: + :leet::eek3:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    So just curious, will they be making any versions for the 754 socket? I'd like to buy a cheap one for my system if possible. But I'd doubt they'd be under the $250 range. :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I really doubt that there will be any on s754.. s754 is considered the budget platform, and these are not budget processors.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Once these dual core chips start going mainstream, I'm pretty sure we'll see lots of games supporting multithreading. Quake 3 is the only one that comes to mind so far :S
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Quake 3, Call of Duty, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3, Alice...
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited April 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Quake 3, Call of Duty, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3, Alice...
    ...Pacman 2005... ;)
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited April 2005
    Probably been asked before but you can have a folding client per core, right?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Indeed you can!

Are they making the mobile A64s in S939 now? The news article does say they're making a mobile version, but AFAIK all the mobiles are S754...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    No dual cores for 754. It's end of life for 754 for A64. That socket is just for Semprons now.

This is what I've been waiting for, dual core A64.. socket 939.. time for that long overdue upgrade :D