install xp on gigabyte 7n400 pro2 rev1 with sata hd

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Trying to install XP on a Raptor SATA HD.. I can't wait to see that bad boy go..

When I reboot after first stage (installing XP) it won't go on and gives me some errors about non system disk or disk error I think.

On one screen there is settings for enabling SATA. Then an option under that asks for SATA or RAID.

AS well as on the same screen turning on GigaRaid. I don't want to raid as I only have one drive. However under the GIGAraid there is a setting for ATA or RAID. I have seen some postings say turn that on.

Then on another screen there is the boot order. This is slightly confusing as well.

it shows settings for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd drive then a boot order.

The options in the boot order are SCSI/SATA/RAID. I can only change the order on that line if one of the boot drives is set to SCSI. (even though I have no SCSI drive)

Under the options for the individual drives (1st boot device, 2nd boot etc..) are the ability to boot:
USB
Zip
CDROM
IDE-0 - IDE-3
SCSI

Somebody did tell me today that it might be a good thing to reset my cmos which I have not done. Also so far after many different trys of changing settings in the bios it never shows any indication in the bios of what kind of SATA HD it is.

Any clue on this. The gigabyte tech support tells me it can boot sata. But they have yet to fully answer my question on what the settings should be. Or their answers confuse me more.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Well I guess nobody knows for sure. I have gotten some help from people in other boards but still no boot from SATA. I really want to do this because of the speed of the nice new WD Raptor.

Please if anybody knows for sure how to set this up please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Let's take it from the top.

In the bios under "Integrated Perifeerals" you should have;
    Onboard H/W Serial ATA -Enabled-
    Serial ATA Function -Base-
    Onboard H/W RAID -Disabled- if you are not using a single HD or more not in RAID
    GigaRAID Function -ATA-

In the bios under "Advanced BIOS Features" you should have;
    Boot Order
    First Boot Device -CDROM-
    Second Boot Device -SCSI- (in "SCSI/RAID Cntlr Boot Order" you should have the Silicon Image RAID Controller first)

Then during the windows install keep hitting "F6" when prompted.

Then when it asks you for additional devices hit "S" then choose the drivers from on the floppy.

Hopefully all should be well from there.
  • edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Let's take it from the top.

In the bios under "Integrated Perifeerals" you should have;
    Onboard H/W Serial ATA -Enabled-
    Serial ATA Function -Base-
    Onboard H/W RAID -Disabled- if you are not using a single HD or more not in RAID
    GigaRAID Function -ATA-

In the bios under "Advanced BIOS Features" you should have;
    Boot Order
    First Boot Device -CDROM-
    Second Boot Device -SCSI- (in "SCSI/RAID Cntlr Boot Order" you should have the Silicon Image RAID Controller first)

Then during the windows install keep hitting "F6" when prompted.

Then when it asks you for additional devices hit "S" then choose the drivers from on the floppy.

Hopefully all should be well from there.

i have the same set up as HeartsinAustin and was wonder is anyone made any headway on this issue.

i can install xp on the sata raptor disk it seem able to write to the drive. but it wont boot to it after the 1st part of xp install. My bios settings are correct and have the latest bios ver F11. what am i missing.

I have used the WD data lifguard tools but it never detects the sata drive, Ive tried 2 diffrent sata's on it. However the WD dionostic tolls do detect it..

been reading fourm for 2 days and have tried everything.

thx for your help.

monkey