please help - XP Install

edited April 2005 in Hardware
i have a hp laptop runnning xp home. one day i turned it on and it went to a blue screen saying unmountable_boot_volume. its actually my parents computer and they have lost the xp discs that come witht the computer. not only do i not have the discs but a couple of weeks before this happened the cd-rom also stopped working. please any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    well, first things first. Diagnose the hard drive and see if that's the problem. Does the computer have a floppy drive?

Is the laptop under warranty? If it came with XP home on it, it sounds relatively new....

If the computer has a floppy drive, you need to download a drive diagnostic and boot off the floppy that the program will create for you.

It appears that most HP laptops use Hitachi Travelstar drives. If you have a Hitachi or IBM hard drive, download this, run it, and it will create a bootable floppy that you can use to test the hard drive.

Let me know how that goes.
  • edited April 2005
    i put the floppy in and started the laptop. before the tester started it ran a test or some thing and a bunch of sys files failed. its currently ~detecting ide secondary master~
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    You've got hardware problems above and beyond your hard drive.

So, right in the BIOS (before anything loads) there are errors? :eek3:

Has this thing been dropped recently?
  • edited April 2005
    well it runs some kind of check before the fitness test come up. i ran the fitness test and it just gave me a code as results. im now running a advanced test which is taking longer. im not sure if it has been dropped but when im not home anything can happen :(
  • edited April 2005
    it finished the advanced test and gave me a code ~0x00~ thats about all ive got. any suggestions or utilities i should run throuhg this program.......by the way thanx for your help so far.....im very greatful
  • edited April 2005
    overnight i have downloaded a xp quick install boot disk but when the laptop reads it it tells me im missing the "WINDOWS ROOT\system32\hal.dll" file
  • edited April 2005
    have a hp laptop running xp home. every time i turn the computer in i get the blue screen unmountable_boot_volume. i have manged to get the xp boot floppys from microsofts website to run but when i push R to repair the system files it goes straight back to the blue screen. any help please. this is driving me nuts!!!
  • edited April 2005
    after i get to the rocery console using the xp floopy disc it starts to do something and then i go back to the blue and istead of unmountable boot volume it now shows ~ntfs.sys~
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Threads Merged - Please do not start a new thread for the same problem.