about:blank has me pulling my hair out!

Hi. I've unfortunately fallen victim to about:blank and God knows what else and was wondering if you might be able to assist me in the removal of this villainous spyware.

I figured I would get as much information as possible about spyware and virus removal and try to get rid of it myself. Having failed that, I've decided to ask the experts for assistance :)

Here's what I've done so far: I have utilized Trend Micro's House Call online virus scanner, Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D. Additionally, I re-booted my system in safe-mode and ran CWShredder, McAffee's Stinger standalone, AboutBuster and HSRemove. I've also downloaded HJT, but I've decided not to run it until I'm told to do so as I'm still a bit of a noob, as it were, and would rather not entirely destroy my system.

I should also probably add that I'm running Norton Anti-Virus and have just in the last day or two been receiving recurring messages stating that Virus Protection is turned off. When I check to ensure that it is enabled, it appears to be active.

Anyway, any advice on what steps to take next in order to fix these troublesome issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comments

• edited April 2005
    "Doh!" Never mind, it appears I may have resolved the issue after all (forgot to reset my home page - what a gimboid)! I'll keep a close eye on the situation and if I continue to experience issues, I'll return for assistance. Thanks again for providing a fantastic service to those in need. Short Media is the best!!
This discussion has been closed.