Dual Core Opteron Benchmarks!

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Techreport is first out of the gate with Opteron x75 Dual Core 2.2ghz benchmarks.

Processors:
<list>
<li> Dual Opteron 275 (2.2ghz Dual Core)
<li> Opteron 175 (2.2ghz Dual Core)
<li> Dual Opteron 252 (2.6ghz)
<li> Opteron 152 (2.6ghz)
<li> Dual Opteron 248 (2.2ghz)
<li> Opteron 148 (2.2ghz)
<li> Pentium Extreme Edition 840 3.2GHz (Dual Core)
<li> Pentium D 840 3.2GHz (Dual Core)
<li> Pentium 4 660 3.6GHz
<li> Dual Xeon 3.4GHz (Nocona 1MB)
<li> Dual Xeon 3.2GHz (Nocona 1MB)
<li> Xeon 3.4GHz (Nocona 1MB)
<li> Xeon 3.2GHz (Nocona 1MB)</list>
We've had a pair of dual-core Opteron processors on the test bench for some time now, and we're pleased to report some rather impressive results. AMD's dual-core design is something more than just a pair of CPUs glued together on a single piece of silicon, and this design choice yields a performance dividend. Keep reading to see how the new Opteron 275 stacks up against its Opteron predecessors and against Intel's latest "Nocona" Xeons. We also have a head-to-head battle of single-socket, dual-core workstation processors: the Opteron 175 versus the Pentium Extreme Edition 840.
I Want! :)

Source: Techreport

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited April 2005
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Oh man, the new short-media server is ALREADY outdated :D

AMD, oh AMD, can we please get 2x275s? :p
    edited April 2005
    Opty 275 ~$1300 each (Ouch!)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    That is a very good review. This is a lot more complicated than "2 > 1". I think TR did a great job and presented everything in a fair light.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Anyone got links to whom is selling them and how much? What are the naming schemes they are going by and what core are they using now?

I know the above links gave some info, but I didn't see much really. I looked on newegg last night and couldn't find anything.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm currently reading the whole article still, but why does it seem that the DUAL Opteron 252(2.6GHz) is just barely faster than the SINGLE Opteron 875(2.2GHz)??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Because the SMP rules still apply; most apps only see a marginal improvement over a single CPU.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    That's right, I was thinking both were dual core, but only the 875 is. ;D

These damned rating things are driving me nuts.
    edited April 2005
    RWB wrote:
    I'm currently reading the whole article still, but why does it seem that the DUAL Opteron 252(2.6GHz) is just barely faster than the SINGLE Opteron 875(2.2GHz)??
    You Have a DUAL CPU system with seperate CPUs compared with a CPU with TWO complete CPU cores on One actual chip. Since the CPU Cores are Physically together & closer they can communicate faster (More efficiently).

And it's not a rating system just model numbers. You'll have to remember what everything means! ;D