Internet Dropping Out

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I have a windows xp computer that keeps dropping the internet. When you restart the computer it is fine. There is a dsl modem that is connected to a linksys wireless router. The computer is hardwired to the router and laptops do connect through wireless.

Here is what I have tried: So far I have swapped network cards (from the built in to a PCI) Tried different network cables, different ports on the router, and 3 different dsl modems. When the computer loses the internet, laptops are still able to use the wireless internet fine which leads me to believe it is some kind of problem on the computer itself within windows. Ideas?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Look under Network Adapters in Device Manager and check the properties for your NIC. Look for a setting like "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" and uncheck it.

Worth a shot. :)
  • edited April 2005
    have to think about this one. hmm... :confused:
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Look under Network Adapters in Device Manager and check the properties for your NIC. Look for a setting like "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" and uncheck it.

Worth a shot. :)

While a good thought, I don't think that is it.(haven't had access to the computer yet to try it) The internet will cut out while in the middle of using it.
    :scratch:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2005
    Could be a problem with the router itself. Have you tired a different router? Or try wiring the computer direct to the DSL modem (use the XP software firewall while connected this way) and see if the connection is better that way.

Dexter...