IE May Get Tabs Before Summer

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Windows enthusiast site Neowin.net on Thursday claimed that Microsoft's MSN group is working on a new toolbar that will add tabs to Internet Explorer, an idea one analyst thinks could boost the whole browser-as-money-maker idea.
"MSN is currently developing a next-generation version of their popular MSN Toolbar Suite," said the Neowin site in a brief item. The updated version, Neowin claimed, would give current versions of Internet Explorer the ability to display multiple pages in one frame, organized by tabs, much as Mozilla's Firefox browser now offers.

Although Microsoft has committed to adding tabs to IE, it's said that the feature will only appear in IE 7.0, a security-enhanced version due to beta this summer. IE 7.0 is to work only in Windows XP SP2, according to comments Microsoft has made previously.
Source: TechWeb

Comments

• NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited April 2005
    I don't think people are switching to Firefox simply because of the tab. I think a lot are just sick and tired of popups, spyware, etc.
  • edited April 2005
    Are you kidding????!!!!!111
    This thing is the best since sliced bread. Just imagine, your popups will be in a tab too :D;D
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited April 2005
    LOL, It won't be long before an exploit is released to allow hijacking of IE tabs by other sites.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Mabey that will put tabs on the hundreds of active X digilog boxes too.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I can personally say that I've known a couple of people who have switched to firefox solely for the tabbed browsing.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    maxthon?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    im sure there will be only about 38743 exploits when it is released too