speakers for nf7-s

nomannoman pakistan
edited April 2005 in Hardware
hi,

we know soundstorm converts any sound to dolby surround.

but to take its advantage do i need a digital decoder?
or can i use simple 5.1 speakers?

if i connect 5.1 speaker system using 3 ouputs on the back of mobo.....will i get surround?

will this include surround encoded by soundstorm?

the thing is ......i want to buy speakers which give me most benefit of my soundstorm.......so finally do i need to get

1-simple 5.1 speakers
2-5.1 speakers with digital decoder

Comments

• nomannoman pakistan
    edited April 2005
    somebody?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    All you need are 5.1 speakers. Like any of the Logitech speakers on this page.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited April 2005
    I get surround out of a SB Live! card with cheap analog speakers from Creative. I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting surround, but then I don't have any experience with that mobo.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    Yeah any 5.1 system will do. I have the Z560s from Logitech and its awesome.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited April 2005
    whats the difference b/w dolby surround and dolby digital 5.1 besides digital output?
    i guess channels are same the only difference is the way in which the signal is transmitted i.e optical output(1 cable) vs analogue(5-6 cable)

am i right?
  • edited April 2005
    Yes. You get a clearer, crisper sound using the digital I/Os, but most people cannot tell the difference.

I have my ol' Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 setup still, which is connected to my NF7-S. Other than the missing center channel (which I could add later by building a simple 7W mono amp), it sounds good enough in comparison to the Logitech z680 setup in the family room.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited April 2005
    i read nvidia document.....

there they say that soundstorm DICE encodes into dolby digital 5.1 which is only transmitted through optical cable.....
    need external decoder...
    "Support for multi-speaker 3D audio is available for
    up to six speakers. Furthermore, the APU can also process and output a Dolby Digital audio stream
    directly to a home theater system via a SPDIF connection (see fig. 2).""

i noticed that dolby digital encoding is enabled only when digital out is selected....