Folder Properties won't change

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I keep on trying to adjust the folder properties, and the changes don't stick, they don't save.

I right click on the icon....
choose "properties"....

I wan't to unselect the "read only" option....

I do that, but then when I check it again, the "read only" option is still active...

I'm stumped... :confused:
sorry if this is a really stupid question.

Comments

• RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    What type of file is it?

If it is, for example, a Word document, a work-around might be to open up the document in Word and resave it by clicking Save As...

If your file is on disk you might not beable to change it. This might seem obvious but it's a mistake that's been made before.
  • edited April 2005
    Its a folder, with other folders in it... all of them "read-only". There are many file types within these folders, and they are all located in my harddrive... it won't even let me change the name of the folder.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    Restart. If that doesn't work restart into safe mode (F8). This may I may not work. :rolleyes:
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited April 2005
    Well check and see if you have ownership of the file.

click on Tools in the toolbar and select view and then uncheck use simple file sharing.

goto that evil folder of yours and check and see if someone else owns it I hope not. it is your computer right. Right click the folder and click on properties

Wow a new tab Security, click on that tab and make sure allow is checked for everything for that folder. Be careful not to select deny. If you check deny for an account that you have you will not be able to access it. sometimes even if you are the admin.

If that doesn't work check your system for viruses and trojans maybe someone is hacking your computer and just trying to piss you off.
  • edited May 2005
    Its available to all users on the computer.... tried everything... still won't change. every folder on my computer is listed as "read only"....
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    At the top when you view the directory its in click tools/folder options/view and at the bottom change it from simple file sharing.

That allows a sheetload of other options as far as permisions and ownership.

Deal with your file and change it back.

Tex
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited May 2005
    Hey Tex, I already posted that man come on.... Tex come on... :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    Oh well... thanks for trying to help. Guess I gotta live with it.