Connection Sharing

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok I have my main desktop computer down stairs another desktop upstairs and a laptop, all of these are hooked up threw a router (desktops wired, laptop wireless) now occasionally i have friends computers here to fix them or whatever. On my main desktop i have the eithernet port built into the motherboard, and an eithernet card. I use the eithernet port built into the motherboard as my main connection from the router. How can i use the other eithernet port to hook up another computer to the network? Im running windows xp (on both the main desktop and the desktop im tryin to link with) I have tried bridging the connection between the card and motherboard port in the network connections but that didnt work. Maybe i did something wrong? Sorry if this is confusing dont really know how else to explain what im trying to do. Thanks!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Are you using a crossover cable between the two computers?

If you have Internet Connection Sharing configured right and are using a crossover cable you might be able to do it.

If you want to take the easy way out, an inexpensive Switch is your best bet. If you search by price you can find one for as low as $6 after rebates.
  • edited April 2005
    I have rj-45 ends and cat-5 wire... how are crossover cables configured? i know on a regular wire looking from the top (part with the clip) left to right it usually goes brown-brownwhite, green-greenwhite, blue-bluewhite, orange-orangewhite on both ends.
    edited April 2005
    For a normal cable, both ends would be like 568B. For a crossover cable, do one end like 568B and the other like 568A. Note that the hook is underneath the plug in these pictures.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Hey prof, is it required to have an ethernet crimper to play around with it? I'm thinking of making one of my extra straight-throughs into a crossover, but can I do it by hand/with standard tools?
    edited April 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Hey prof, is it required to have an ethernet crimper to play around with it? I'm thinking of making one of my extra straight-throughs into a crossover, but can I do it by hand/with standard tools?
    I seriously doubt it. You'd have to push in all eight of the contact tabs, plus the strain-relief tab, all while keeping the wires from shifting around inside the plug.

I can think of several ways it might be possible, but I wouldn't want to bet any real money that it would work. If you did try it, just use the (white/orange, orange) and (white/green, green) pairs, making sure they are located like this:

Pin 1 wire color: white/orange
    Pin 2 wire color: orange
    Pin 3 wire color: white/green
    Pin 6 wire color: green
    (Numbered L-to-R with the tab underneath)

Those are the only wires actually used in a CAT5 network cable, and would reduce the amount of wires you'd need to crimp by hand to four (instead of eight).