Need driver for 3Dfx graphic card, earlier model

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Hello, folks:

I have an old 450 MgHz PC with 96 RAM that I got from a friend without any drivers, especially not one for the 3Dfx graphic card installed. The machine was really messed up (years of kids playing games and downloading miscellaneous programs), so I reformatted the whole system to its original Win 98 and it works well except the image display is terrible and I can't make any adjustments to the monitor settings.

Yesterday I removed the old 3Dfx card and tried replacing it with a 32 MB ATI Rage 128 card. After I installed the ATI driver and rebooted, I got just a black screen and a cursor with an hour-glass next to it. I reasoned that the system could not support the ATI card, and the old card must have required less memory and/or processing speed. Good assumption?

The 3D card is stamped 3DFX Interactive 210-0364-003, and there's also a long bar-code number. Would this be enough info to identify the model of the card and to determine which driver to use?

Thanks much--

Tim

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Fifth one down on the list.
  • edited April 2005
    Roger, Prof:

Just to be sure, that's the X-Mojomotion Voodoo Banshee Driver v1.0 (XP)?

I have Win 98; would Xpentor Voodoo Banshee Drivers (98/ME) be more appropriate?

How do you know all this stuff?

Reverently yours,

Tim
  • edited April 2005
    Sorry, prof; I did not see the link to the download on DriverGuide. I have the file now.

Thanks very much!

You must be a freaking genius.

Tim
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    FCC IDs are your best friend.
  • edited April 2005
    Ah so! I was going to add that there was a logo that said FCC, but I didn't think it was important.

I'll be blessed!

Thanks--

Tim
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    FCC IDs are your best friend.
    After my dogs, that may be true. ;D

Glad you got it, Tim (coolest) :)
  • edited April 2005
    Works like a charm too. I just installed it.

Peace out--

Coolest
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited April 2005
    Another happy customer, nice one Prof'. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Short-Media coolest. :)