Light Speed Broadband

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
An ultra-fast laser built in the UK has clocked up a data transmission rate of 1.36 terabits per second, in a breakthrough that could lead to a huge increase in the speed of broadband connections to homes and businesses.
The laser, which has been developed as part of the ultra-fast photonics collaboration project, is the forerunner of network technology that is expected to be widely available in 10 years’ time.

It was built by researchers at St Andrews University. Dr Tom Brown, a member of the St Andrews computer sciences team, said: ‘We have had to deliver a femtosecond laser with a pulse rate that was four times more than anything delivered previously. We believe it’s the highest repetition rate of any sub-100 femtosecond laser.’

The researchers argue that such devices will reach speeds of up to 100 terabits per second when ultrafast photonics technology matures. The maximum speed of existing digital subscriber line (DSL) networks is 100Gbits per second.

Targets set by governments around the world to boost broadband speeds will only be met by such ultra-fast photonic networks. The Japanese government, for example, recently set a target of achieving a rate of 1Gbit per second to every Japanese home by 2010.
Source: The Engineer Online

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    I wonder how expensive this will be?
  • edited April 2005
    Well, if you have to ask....
    you probably can't afford it
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited April 2005
    "Targets set by governments around the world to boost broadband speeds will only be met by such ultra-fast photonic networks. The Japanese government, for example, recently set a target of achieving a rate of 1Gbit per second to every Japanese home by 2010."

Too bad the U.S. simply sits on it's ass and does nothing, falling behind in technology and technology adaption.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Places like Sweden and Japan already have 10Mbit/10Mbit, unlimited bandwidth, for the same price as Canadians and Americans dawdle along with 5Mbit/768kbps.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, that's insane. How i'd love to host a gameserver in-home lol.

P.S. adoption *
  • edited April 2005
    Yeah that is pretty cool. Just still need to get broadband to everyone though. I'm still stuck with dial up. :(
  • edited April 2005
    I feel for ya buster. 10Mbit/10Mbit connections would be pretty sweet. In house gameserver here I come.