What's best for DFI NF4?

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Hardware
I am upgrading my wife's rig with a DFI NF4 Ultra-D, my 3200+ Winnie and my Patriot XBLK. I will be replacing my Winnie with a San Diego and was originally thinking VX but wonder if there is something better? Isn't there something optomised for the LP NF4 boards? Would it be any better?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    Well the DFI boards are the only boards that can really utilize the VX series. Sounds like a good combo to me.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I agree with mmonnin here. The 4000VX or the new 3200 Gold BH5 stuff. Both hits 250 at 2,2,2 if you use the voltage needed. The bang for the buck right now is the 3200 Gold BH5 at $170 or so at newegg.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I needed to hear as I had thought the VX was it. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something before I push the button in another week from now. Am I correct in recalling that the VX will just do the same thing with a little less volts?
    edited April 2005
    It's the other way around actually. The BH5 does 2,2,2 at 200 and only 2.8 volts where the VX needs over 3 volts for that. This is the new 200, 2,2,2 offering from many manufacturers it seems. For the absolute top clock with unlimited voltage, VX still reigns.
    edited April 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    It's the other way around actually. The BH5 does 2,2,2 at 200 and only 2.8 volts where the VX needs over 3 volts for that. This is the new 200, 2,2,2 offering from many manufacturers it seems. For the absolute top clock with unlimited voltage, VX still reigns.
    I am planning on the 4000VX not the 3200. Why would the VX need more volts to do 2-2-2@200 when on the OCZ site it says it needs 3.3v to run 2-2-2@DDR250 where as the BH5 needs 3.2v to run 2-2-2@200. So in my NF4 Ultra-D I plan on running @250 or higher the VX basically becomes a no brainer. Right?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    I will be replacing my Winnie with a San Diego..

:mullet: Hopefully I will be too :D

I am pretty happy with my TCCD, but these weak memory controllers on the winchester CBBID chips drive me nuts. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the low frequency/tight timing configurations are sometimes better with the winnies, as you can keep the multiplier high, and the memory frequency a below 250MHz. My ram is 100% stable at 300MHz, but I cant get to that with a decent clock.

I hear these Sandiego/venice cores have some pretty solid controllers though. They beefed them up for 4-dimm support @ 200MHz, so 2-dimm stability has also improved.
    edited April 2005
    Larry, where do you see that the BH5 needs 3.2 vdimm to run 200 at 2,2,2? It only needs 2.8 or so. VX 4000 needs 3.3 for 250 at 2,2,2 ,yes. However, in my opinion, 3.3 vdimm is on the edge for the cpu 24/7.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Mack: I got some new memory for my DFI also.

Hit me on messenger when you get this to help tighten the timings.

It's not OCZ stuff but I got a pretty good deal on some twinx pc4000.

Tex
    edited April 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Larry, where do you see that the BH5 needs 3.2 vdimm to run 200 at 2,2,2? It only needs 2.8 or so. VX 4000 needs 3.3 for 250 at 2,2,2 ,yes. However, in my opinion, 3.3 vdimm is on the edge for the cpu 24/7.
    Guess I got my pages crossed while comparing.

So maybe I'm not as bad off as I think with what I've got running now with 250HTT@2.5/3/4/7 2.8V?
    edited April 2005
    Larry, if those are good tccd's, they should do 300 at those timings. I have a kit each of all our tccd's here, 3 of the kits are actually rma's and all do over 300.

Tex, i'll call you up tomorrow on msn.
    edited April 2005
    Cool I realy appreciate your expertise

Tex
    edited April 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Larry, if those are good tccd's, they should do 300 at those timings. I have a kit each of all our tccd's here, 3 of the kits are actually rma's and all do over 300.
    Mac,

My current problem is my current week 50 Winnie with the crappy memory controller. Just like lemonlime, I can turn down the multi and crank it up but at even 8.5 multi I cannot go past 250. Since my wife has a 512 stick of Corsair XMS 3200 rev 1.1 (old BH5) I will play with that before selling it and getting my next dimms.
    edited April 2005
    Larry, we need to talk to get that rig going. I have never seen a memorycontroller funk out at such low speed. I have seen broken memorycontrollers, yes, but those usually call it a day at 200 or 2T, not at like 250.

I haven't used tccd or the dfi in weeks, so let me hook that rig up and we'll play a little. Let me know when you have time.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Larry, we need to talk to get that rig going. I have never seen a memorycontroller funk out at such low speed. I have seen broken memorycontrollers, yes, but those usually call it a day at 200 or 2T, not at like 250.

I haven't used tccd or the dfi in weeks, so let me hook that rig up and we'll play a little. Let me know when you have time.

Sorry Mac but I'm in that club to with my winnie & msi neo2 anything over 250 & it throughs a wobbly.
    edited April 2005
    Is this clocking through bios only or have you tried clockgen as well?
    Always stay below 800 fsb on NF3 and 1000 on NF4 even if the dfi can handle higher sometimes.
    edited April 2005
    I have always been using the bios and have yet to play with clockgen.
    edited April 2005
    And Larry I appologize for yanking OT earlier.

Tex