Computer just goes idle, no XP logo, no nothing.

2»

Comments

• edited January 2006
    i just searched google for "An error occured during directory enumeration" and this post came up...

about three weeks ago i had the same exact problem...because i have 4 different partitions on my hd (1 for documents, 1 for music, ect...) the only thing i would have lost if i formated was all my applications i had installed with a few exceptions to documents i was working on so i just saved them to my desktop...

it was no big deal for me to format...so i did and re-installed windows xp...i ran "NTFS Get Data Back" which allows you to retrive your data even after your drive has been formated...but sometimes the data does corrupt so its not the BEST idea....

however my neighbor has the SAME EXACT problem i had which is the same as this one. mine/my neighbors computer are PC's and the HD's arent cracked....i was wondering if anyone has any ideas to fix this other then formating.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    A Repair Install might fix you up. If it tells you that there are no partitons (or an "unknown" partition) on the drive then STOP. In that case, I have a program I could recommend.

I would run the diagnostic program from the HD manufacturer in any case. If the drive is failing you won't be putting yourself in the position of doing everything all over again. If not, you'll feel better about possibly having to go to lengthy measures to straighten things out since you'll know that the end result will be a completely fixed system.