Unable to install new CDROM, Computer Won't Boot

edited April 2005 in Hardware
About a month ago, I started to have trouble installing applications from CDROM and yesterday, my CDROM stopped working altogether. I went out and bought a new DVDRW combo drive and replaced the one that was in my computer after setting the jumpers appropriately etc.

When Windows XP Professional SP2 started up, I saw the "new hardware found" message in the task bar for a few seconds, and then I got a blue screen regarding hardware configuration changes.

Rebooting the system initiated a reboot loop whereby I will get the black "Loading Windows XP" screen to appear very dimly, and the computer will reboot etc etc. Occasionally I get the boot menu prompting to boot into safe mode but that does not work either.

If I disconnect the new CDROM, the computer will boot and operate fine.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on an Athlon 64 3200 with 1GB of RAM. I have disabled virus protection and gone through all startup options and disabled extraneous services.

I would say the only peculiarity of my machine is that I do not have a C: drive. The last time I installed Windows, it installed on G: rather than C:. Since this caused my windows explorer icons to disappear due to a known XP bug, I run the "subst" command on startup to map the C: drive letter to the G: drive.

Any hope of getting a CDROM drive installed without rebooting? I have contemplated putting it on the other IDE drive ribbon but don't want to screw up my hard drives. It's currently the only thing on the second IDE cable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Um, check that the power supply in the computer is a 400 Watt or better-- DVDs pull more power.
  • edited April 2005
    Um, check that the power supply in the computer is a 400 Watt or better-- DVDs pull more power.

It is, the old drive was a DVD drive as well. I actually made the situation worse because I reinstalled the old DVD drive, rebooted windows, verified that it showed up, went into device manager and uninstalled it. Now, windows will not start at all under any circumstance. It boots up to the black "starting windows" screen and then the screen just goes black and it hangs. No more rebooting loop, just dead. I guess I'm into a rebuild.