Comp Shuts off, PSU Problem?

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi there, its not a major problem, worthy of the emergency help forum, but it is a problem. I have a Dual Opteron 2.0 ghz, on an IWILL DK8N board, i have 2 gigs of corsair ram, and a maxtor harddrive, my power supply is an Aspire 500 watt power supply. Whenever theres a power spike, my computer shuts off, even though it is on a surge protector/battery backup, in the battery slot. My brothers computer stays on, he has an hp. i built mine. Also, if i leave my computer on overnight, it shuts off. Its only shut off on me 1 time when i was actually using it. But like last night, for the 5th night or so. I was sending a big file to a friend, and it was shut off when i woke up. The transfer completed but why does it keep shutting off on me? Is this a power supply problem that i need a new power supply or could it be something else that is turning it off. When it shut off the 1 time i was on it, it just shut off. No signs, no nothing. just, died. The pwoer supply lights shut off and that was the end of it, had to reboot the computer.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Make sure hibernate is off and stand-by. If that doesnt help its probably your psu. (can you post a log of your voltages before it shuts off.)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Sounds like auto-shut down to me. Look at the BIOS.

It could be PSU, though it sounds like you need better power conditioning.
  • edited April 2005
    ok, when i get home i'll check out the hibernate thing and my bios for that stuff. i plan on buying a new psu anyway.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    I'm not too familiar with Aspire PSUs, but it could be a result of voltage sags. You may also want to check to ensure your machine is not reaching any temperature thresholds. How are your temps? Some mainboards have an automatic shutdown feature that activates then the CPU(s) get too hot.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2005
    you can't possibly run a dual opteron system with that psu. first of all you need an EPS 24pin psu for that dually. Here is what i would use....

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932

that 500w aspire is marketed towards gamers, but i wouldn't use it in my rig....the specs are pretty lackluster. you can bet that the aspire numbers are inflated, while the antec numbers are under-rated.

aspire 500w: =3.3v@28A, +5v@30A, =12A@34A

antec tpII 550w eps: +3.3V@32A, +5V@40A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@19A
    edited April 2005
    Take a look at the heatsinks on the aspire psu too. There very small for the psu's rated size I highly doute its a 500 at all.
  • edited April 2005
    Would either of these work? If no i can always buy the on you sugested but i'd like the most power that i can get under 200 dollars.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817193003

or

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153021
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2005
    wattage doesn't mean much when it comes to a quality psu.

the thermaltake isn't an EPS psu either. i don't know much about the skyhawk, but it claims a ton of power for only $90? something ain't quite right...

I have antecs in all of my rigs, and will most likely stick with them.
    edited April 2005
    I think he wants something with lots of lights and shiney things why else would someone get a aspire.

Get an antec enermax or pc power & cooling if you want something good relieable and that will last

get something else is you want shiney with lights
  • edited April 2005
    At first yea i wanted something with lights, but now i dont give a damn lol, im gonna go with the antec psu that u showed me earlier.