Random freezing...

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Here comes an interesting question for you people. I'm sure some of you remember when I had the HDD failure in my laptop and I replaced it, for the most part, things have been grand since then. I've even made sure to keep it extra cool to prevent any type of overheating issues. However, I've noticed that it sometimes locks right in the middle of things for no real reason and forces the numlock key on. Strangely, in order to even turn this function on I have to hold a function button and then hit scroll, so I'm not doing any key combination jazz. It also allows music to play for a few seconds after it locks, and the mouse can still move, then wham, it hits.

It's a Compaq Presario 3000, Windows XP Pro (that I loaded myself), 512mb ram (I haven't checked to see what kind). It doesn't matter what's running, I could have it just sitting here running F@H and it can do it. Any suggestions or solutions aside from getting a new laptop?

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    see what all processes are running, what the cpu usage looks like, and scan for spyware/adware.

http://www.geocities.com/pilotwings119/downloads.html
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    That's not a problem. The CPU usage is 100% because of running F@H. It's stopped doing it in recent memory, for some reason. In any case, it wasn't a spyware/adware problem. I'm starting to think it's an overheating problem. Unless anyone else has any suggestions.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    yeah could be