AMD To Start Building Chipsets

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
AMD may get into the business of manufacturing chipsets when it opens a new chip factory in 2006, CEO Hector Ruiz has revealed.
For the most part, chipsets for AMD's processors are designed by partners such as Nvidia, ATI and Via, who themselves often hire other companies to manufacture them. AMD has previously said it is not interested in building its own companion processor-chipset products like those made by rival Intel, but Ruiz said that the company is now not opposed to "deeper ties" with chipset partners that could involve manufacturing agreements.

If chipset vendors farm out manufacturing to AMD, the company would benefit in various ways. For example, AMD would generate additional revenue from manufacturing capacity that would otherwise sit unused. It would also have increased control over the process of manufacturing chipsets, which are used in tandem with AMD's chips to control the flow of data around a system.

Right now, AMD does not plan to start developing its own chipset products for the mass market, Ruiz said.
Source: TechWorld

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    So the 8000-series core logic gets a facelift? 9000-series core logic here we come!

Say, isn't that the number for a famous insane computer?

-drasnor :fold:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    drasnor wrote:
    So the 8000-series core logic gets a facelift? 9000-series core logic here we come!

Say, isn't that the number for a famous insane computer?

-drasnor :fold:
    Are you sure that is safe Dave? I am not designed to operate without those modules.
  • edited April 2005
    AMD used to design and manufacture their own chipsets but they were always saying that they really didn't want to so now they've decided that they want to manufature them but let others do the design work?

Makes sense in a twisted way I guess, nVidia is a fabless company after all and they're heavily in bed with AMD Kinda makes me wonder though, what if AMD ends up getting tapped to build Intel chipsets...