Burning DVDs across the network

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Alright, my brother got a DVD burner for his birthday. I was stupid and didn't spend enough to get one when I bought my DVD-ROM, so I don't have one.

Now. Today I went and grabbed a couple DVD+RWs. What I want to know is, first of all, if it's possible for him to share this drive across the network. You have the option to, but it seems like everytime the CD/DVD gets ejected, it wont' "exist" any more. Probably because it's sharing, say "\TAKEN" (one of the best sci-fi mini series ever) and not the drive itself. So when you switch out, and it becomes "\Muse" (his favorite CD), it's not technically the same folder. Is it possible to share the actual drive itself?

And now for the burning. You might say "Why!? It'd be so slow!" Well think. If it can only burn at 4x, that's hardly any data moving at all. Easily enough to pass across a network. Is this possible, though? The thing we thought while tinkering with it (and failing) was what about signals? I mean, Nero, for instance, is used to sending out IDE signals. Not Samba ones. Instead of going to IDE, it first has to go through Samba, then perhaps something else on his end, then IDE. So maybe it just can't handle it. But if not, is there a program that can?

If you read all that, kudos to you. If you can help me, even more. Maybe even the chocolate ones.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    <b>I told you.</b>
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Yarr. You were right. Again.

Damnit that happens too often. :-/ Any help, though? :p
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Why not just copy the data to a folder on his computer and burn it the old-fashioned way?

You're going to have to walk over there to put the blank disc in, anyway... :cool:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    I know. That's what I've had to do so far. It just seems like it'd be easier to do it from here (and also because the NTI CD/DVD Maker program he swears by is utter crap :(, and he won't install or use anything else)
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I am not sure about burning but I have installed programs across the network. You have to "Map the network drive"
    On the Host computer
    My computer
    tools
    "map a network drive"
    follow the wizard and assign it a drive letter and it will show up on your computer as that drive letter. and should be recognized by Nero.

I think

Scott